• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cooling system questions

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 2.9 w/o AC. A week ago, it overheated. The thermostat had gone bad (it was literally in pieces). I replaced that with an OE 195 degree and replaced the antifreeze.
All was well the first few times driving it. Now, the temp gauge is reading normal, but smoke is coming from the vents. It has the distinct antifreeze smell. Do any of you know what could be causing this? The temp gauge works, it went to the top when it overheated last week, but it isn't going above normal when the vents are smoking.
Maybe a heater core problem or something? Thanks for your help guys.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i don't want to be "that guy" who cries about getting an immediate response, but i am about to have to drive it again and want to make sure i am not going to be doing any damage.
The smoke is not very heavy, but definitely enough to cause concern. Thanks again.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Most likely your heater core is leaking. Is the passenger side floormat wet?

What part of Florida are you in? I moved to Alabama From Fla. Used to live around Tallahassee.

Last edited:

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am in Tallahassee actually. What part are you from?
I didn't notice anything on the floorboards, but I'll check when I go out to it next.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Wakulla county. Still got family living there. Nice to meet someone from my old neck of the woods.
Even if the floorboard isn't wet I'd check the heater core. It's pretty easy to get to. It's on the passenger side inside the plastic cover under the dash. There's an article on how to replace one in the tech library.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
update on situation:
drove this morning. After a few miles, the smoking started pretty heavily again. I pulled off the road and let it idle. After a minute or so the smoke stopped. Like it was just burning off a collection of fluid or something. The rest of the trip was about 8 more miles and there was almost no smoke the whole time. Strange how it just happens as the engine warms up then is fine. I think I may go ahead and pick up a heater core today, but i'd certainly like to be more sure before i do. I looked more in depth and saw nothing abnormal.
This may have no impact, but I park on a steep driveway with the front higher.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
The only way to be sure is to look at it, which would be best before you go to the expense of buying one.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your smelling antifreeze in the cab it's most likely the heater core. It was easy to change the one in my 90 Ranger, but if I had got it done sooner, might not have cracked my heads. Could be someone put stop leak in it so it only occasionally leaks. Keep a good eye on your coolant level, and as I understand it, the anti-freeze mix has to be correct (30-60%) as well. One sure way to tell is if your windshield gets fogged on the inside from the escaping steam...that's a pretty good sign your heater core has been shot for a while..in the meantime, if it's warm enough where you live, unhook one of the heater hoses and bypass it.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The only way to be sure is to look at it, which would be best before you go to the expense of buying one.
Well, I thank both of you for your help. I took off the heater core cover this afternoon. There was more than one issue at hand. First, the thing was caked with leaves. Second, the core did have a bad section that was leaking and corroded (so it may have been like that a little while).
I know the owner before me had the truck parked for several years, so that may be how the leaves found their way down there. I feel much better knowing that is all cleared out now.
I picked up a heater core at Advance for $21 and did the switch, which was rather easy. This one's lifetime warranted. haha. assuming my receipt doesn't fade in a year, which it will.
Again, thanks for your help and hopefully tomorrow morning i will be smoke free. Peace

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Glad to help. Hope it keeps going good for you. BTW, don't forget to vote for TRS as top 4X4 site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals