• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

couple of questions??

dugga4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dumb question but i can find the ob 2 hook up for my scan tool,,,94 ford ranger xl 4x4 4.0 man. trans reg cab. and also when my truck is running and i unplugg the MAF it doesnt run any different but not throwing a code? my truck runns really lean and i can figure it out

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
dumb question but i can find the ob 2 hook up for my scan tool,,,94 ford ranger xl 4x4 4.0 man. trans reg cab. and also when my truck is running and i unplugg the MAF it doesnt run any different but not throwing a code? my truck runns really lean and i can figure it out
I don't think 94's are OBD2.

EDIT: IIRC, all OBD2 connectors have to be directly under the steering wheel. So if it's not there, I don't think you have OBD2. The connector for the older style should be on the firewall between the hood hinge and the inner side of the drivers side fender.

Last edited:

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think 94's are OBD2.

EDIT: IIRC, all OBD2 connectors have to be directly under the steering wheel. So if it's not there, I don't think you have OBD2. The connector for the older style should be on the firewall between the hood hinge and the inner side of the drivers side fender.
Rangers got OBDII halfway through the 95 year. Most cars didn't get it until 96 when it became mandatory.

Your 94 does NOT have OBDII.

The connector will be at the bottom of the dash panel on the driver's side, on a Ranger. But it can really go anywhere, my old Acura had it underneath the passenger dash, and I've heard some cars that even have the connector in the back of the car.

Check out this guide from our tech library. It explains how to pull codes from your OBDI truck.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

As for the lean issue, if you're not getting a code I wouldn't think it's all that lean. But you may want to try cleaning the MAF and maybe do a bench test on your o2 sensors.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The OBD-I (NOT OBD-II) connector is under the hood on the passenger side, right behind the fuse box. Rangers (or any other vehicle for that matter) did not get OBD-II until 1996.

dugga4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got it well that explains alot, well i going to stick some new o2 senors and a maf in it cause a guy at work told me to clean my maf with brake cleaner and i think it ruined it but i think that when i unplugg it the truck runs just the sam usally when u unplugg it it dies or runs real rough

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a guy at work told me to clean my maf with brake cleaner and i think it ruined it
:shok:
:nono:
:stop:

Tell that stupid #### he owes you $100 for a new one. I'm one of the dumbest people on this forum and even I'm not stupid enough to use that on a maf sensor. There's a reason they have a can labelled "Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner" on the shelf right f-ing next to the brake cleaner.

Last edited:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
:shok:
:nono:
:stop:

Tell that stupid #### he owes you $125 for a new one. I'm one of the dumbest people on this forum and even I'm not stupid enough to use that on a maf sensor. There's a reason they have a can labelled "Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner" on the shelf right f-ing next to the brake cleaner.
:icon_thumby:

dugga4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya thats what i told him when everybody and there brother told me what u just told me i shouldv been smart enough to know better but live and learn i guess, luckly i found a new one at advance auto for 52 bucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals