• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crank but no start

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
K started this mess Saturday as a simple replacing the water pump and resealing the timing cover and a new crank seal on my 1990 bronco II. Got everything resealed and the new water pump on. I did us some degreaser and washed everything befor i tore it down. But once it was back together it would not start. So i check spark and fuel presure it was all good. Check for fuel injection pulse it would light the test light so I have air fuel and spark but no start it cranks over just like its missing spark. So I dried eveything just incase but still no luck:annoyed:. So no clue.:icon_confused:

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Crank no start

I see no need to check spark timing it ran befor i put the water pump and resealed the timing cover. I didnt do anything with the timing gears just resealed the timing cover.

dawson111299

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
check spark coming from coil to see what it looks like if its orange could be a weak coil. if its nice bright blueish white then it should be good. if the coil is good my first thought would be to check the harness for any wires y may have forgotin to plug back in. If you have fuel spark and air the only thing missing is compresion and since Im asuming you removed the timing chain to replace the crank seal Id say that you may have moved your valve timeing when you put the chain back on. I hate to say it but you may have to tear it all back apart and check to make sure the chain lines up on the cam and crank gears. it only takes it being off by a couple teeth and you loose compression through the valves. I hope its just a wire you forgot to plug in

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still no start

I did check the spark with a spark tester and it is bright blue from the coil and at the spark plugs. I did not have to unplug anything to reseal the timing cover or crank seal and i didnt have to remove the timing gears because the crank seal is in the timing cover. I am thinking that a wire came loose or got broke when i rolled the alternator out of the way or something is still wet from when i degrease and washed the front of the motor cuz it was such a oily mess from the crank seal leaking. It is sitting out in the sun to day so I hope something is wet and the sun will dry it. Other wise unless TRS crew think of something I have missed I am going to have to start pin point testing everthing :bawling: thanks for any help!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
crankshaft positioning sensor?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was not sure. I was brainstorming.

dawson111299

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
spray some starter fluid in that puppy see if it will fire if not i dont know what to tell you spark+ fuel+ compression = vrooom (or at least a cough) for a no start condition one of those has to be missing. Im not sure about the crank sensor but even if it did have one no signal from that and you have no spark. Id check the timeing just for laughs what the hey its easy. or maybe some water got in the distributor cap when you sprayed it .

Lead Head

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The camshaft position sensor is built into the distributor

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would recheck the pulse to the injectors at one of the injectors and for a ground getting to the injectors. There is a connector near the alternator for the injector harness. I can't imagine the timing chain breaking, soooo it sounds like it has to be something with the injector wiring.

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still no start

Yeah there isnt a crank sensor like the 4.0 engines. The strange thing is it was running like a champ before i put the water pump and sealed the timing cover. There is a chance on the ground wire to the injectors. I checked power to the injectors with a test light touching to one side of the injector plug and the probe to the other side and the light flashed so i am thinking that i have ground and power. I know i have 36 psi to the check valve on the injection rail. And i know i have good blue spark to the plugs. I am wondering when i rolled the alt. up out of the way to get to the timing cover if i didnt break a wire :icon_confused: going over to the right hand fender.

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still fighting with it

K got to work on the broncoII today. Put on a new cap and rotor. Tried to start it didnt change a thing. Still cranks but no start. Check the new spark plugs i put in and found them very wet. So i dried them with the compress air and pulled out the fuel pump fuse. Cranked over the engine without the plugs in it. Reinstalled the new plugs and tried to start it. It wouldnt start but it sound like it was trying, but it then it went back to sounding just like it did before. So i pulled a plug out and they are wet again. So a buddy and i hooked on to it and pulled it down the road in gear to see if it would clean out. But it didnt help. So I am thinking fuel presure regulator. Will the fuel pressure still read 38 psi if the regulator is out?:icon_confused: Got fire got fuel and injector are firing.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
K got to work on the broncoII today. Put on a new cap and rotor. Tried to start it didnt change a thing. Still cranks but no start. Check the new spark plugs i put in and found them very wet. So i dried them with the compress air and pulled out the fuel pump fuse. Cranked over the engine without the plugs in it. Reinstalled the new plugs and tried to start it. It wouldnt start but it sound like it was trying, but it then it went back to sounding just like it did before. So i pulled a plug out and they are wet again. So a buddy and i hooked on to it and pulled it down the road in gear to see if it would clean out. But it didnt help. So I am thinking fuel presure regulator. Will the fuel pressure still read 38 psi if the regulator is out?:icon_confused: Got fire got fuel and injector are firing.
Fuel pressure is Excellent....wouldn't mess with FPR
are you sure you have spark to the plug?? might be bad plug wires.

I'd check the TFI or ignition module. considering it ran prior to the Water pump deal...yes look for a bad wire or something unpluged, even vacuum line.

did the connection from the coolant temp sensor get plugged back in??

remove the spout plug, to check the timing

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
still trying

I got new plug wire for it to day and i have a new coil i am going to throw on tonight. I used my spark tester on only a couple wires and i had good spark but the wires are pretty old. If this doesnt fix it i will start pin point checking wire i guess. I hope that the wires coil cap rotor and new plugs will fix it. Not looking forward to omh checking the wiring:bawling: I pulled the spark plugs last time i tried to start it and they were really wet so i dried them again and pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it over with no plugs. Then reinstalled them and it almost started then flooded again. So i am hoping weak spark?:icon_confused: do to wires or coil

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals