• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cranks but does not turn over?

DOPIESLC

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just got done putting the motor back in from re gasketing the entire motor. I tried to start the motor but it would not fire. I checked all the wire connections and everything is connected. I'm getting fuel to the regualtor and I'm getting spark to every plug. Turning it over it made a blow back noise that came from the throttlebody. I'm lost as to why it won't fire.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Have you checked the timing? (if you had the distributor out)

DOPIESLC

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys I forgot to check that. Its been a long week. Thanks for the info. Oh i have checked the compression but forgot about the timing with the distrib.

DOPIESLC

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey IMENRiched what spout plug are you describing? Is it the plug on the distirb?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It is the connector about 6 inches from the distributor on one of the wires coming out of the 6 wire connector on the distrtibutor

DOPIESLC

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I'm lost now. I retimed it and still does not start. How do you tell when cylinder#1 is at TDC with the valve covers off?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I'm lost now. I retimed it and still does not start. How do you tell when cylinder#1 is at TDC with the valve covers off?
You'll need help from buddy.....remove #1 plug turn engine over by hand, well actually, use socket on the nut of Harmonic balancer, turn it the direction it would normally run.....as one turns the engine the other sticks a finger in the open plug hole....as engine turns ,soon you'll feel pressure increase on your finger, at that point both Intake and exhaust valves are closed. Now look at your harmonic balancer, as it rolls round & pressure increases the timing marks come towards the top, more towards the passengers side.

some put a small long screwdriver in the #1 plug hole or stiff wire, just make sure plenty it sticking out to hold onto. you can feel when the piston is coming up and keep your hand close to the plug hole to feel the compression.

the compression will start after the intake valve opens and shuts...just after it shuts, piston starts to come up...if the exhaust valve opens...gone too far.

one can do this with the starter....but is easier to catch rolling over by hand.

If you use the starter unplug the relay for the fuel, so it won't start on you.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
are you timing it with a light and still no fire you can try rotating your plug wires on the distributor 180 degrees . still no fire check compression and fuel pressure can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals