• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crankshaft sensor 2.3 96 motor 91 computer

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Ok I`m trying to put a 96 motor in my 91 ranger.
My Question is can I use the sensor that is on the 96 engine,,OR do I need to swap it out for the 1 that is on the 91.
I hope I can make this work.
any help is greatly appreciated!:headbang::beer:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
They work on the same principle. If the wiring plug matches, you can use either one. While you have easy access, try to clean the metal dust and oil from the magnetic face on it. Don't break the sensor when pulling it for cleaning.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Cool that is what i was hoping but wasn`t sure. I`ll have to solder in the new connector.
I thought it should work. I thought I would ask here though because it would be much easier to get to with the motor still out.
Thanks

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
OK got passed my Clutc trany issues on this project.
My question is 91 has 4 wires 2 orange 2 gray together and 1 running alone to the Crank sensor.
How should i hook up to 96 engine???
I`l check colors on the other wires.
Help Please!

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They are different and we haven't gotten the new one to work with the old system.we take the -95 one and make a template from your -95 engine and transfer to the +95 block,drill and tap these holes.Not too bad of a job but it does have to be pretty percise so you don't break the sensor or bend a vane.If you do find a way to use the newer crank sensor,please share.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Wow Wish I would have known that before I put the motor in.
Ok so the sensor won`t work ThAT SUX

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
no one said it won't work just that they haven't figured it out yet. :)

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not that hard to swap over if you have the motor out yet.You have a couple othe intake issues to overcome also.We never put a -95 intake on a +95 engine so I don't know that outcome.the other way,the +95 intake won't cover up the water jacket port in the -95 head so you have to weld up a section.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well I put the 91 intake on the 96 engine. The 96 motor is in. I rewired 1 coil so I could move it, Had to rewire the Alternator to move it also.
Now I`m to 6 wires (91 Crank sensor) that I need to figure out how to wire into 3 wires (96 crank sensor)
Anyone that could give any pointers here would be helpful
Had some tranny/clutch issues also

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
They are different and we haven't gotten the new one to work with the old system.we take the -95 one and make a template from your -95 engine and transfer to the +95 block,drill and tap these holes.Not too bad of a job but it does have to be pretty percise so you don't break the sensor or bend a vane.If you do find a way to use the newer crank sensor,please share.
Guess this is the way to go, sure wish I could figure out how to wire the other one up.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone tried to wire this up to an old system? What does it do? Just won`t run?

I hate to burn up the sensor,if it won`t work!

Oh well I guess I`ll pull the motor back OUt lol

and drill and tap the 91 sensor on it

Think I`ll work on motor stand and think it over

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone seen any pictures of this mod floating around?
Do you have to change crank dampener or will a 91 sensor work with the toothed dampener.
When mounting the sensor do you keep it same position or lay it over 90 degrees
Just trying to picture it in my head, pix would really be nice.
Anyway thanks for the info

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't have any pictures of when I did mine, but its pretty self explanitory once you get the front covers off of both engines, there are 3 holes that mount the crank sensor mount to the block on the early DIS engine, two threaded and one dowel pin, they are 6mm threads and a 6mm dowel pin, you probably won't find one though, what I did was take a 6mm bolt with a long shank and cut it off so the shank was about the length of the dowel in the original engine and just threaded the hole and red loctited it in place.

to make your template, get a piece of thin cardboard like from a cereal box or something, cut it out in a relative shape to fit in the area needed, you want to use the outer bolt holes for the cover for reference points so make it big enough to get to those. Start with the hole for the pin, cut it out in the cardboard first, then take a STRONG pin or something and stab it into the holes you want to use for reference one at a time, after you stab the hole in the cardboard cut out the excess so that the correct bolt will fit through then put it back on the engine with the bolt threaded in the hole, this will help in accuracy, Start this process with the outer most cover bolt holes (I would do 3 of the cover holes for good measure, you don't have to do all of them) and then do the other two holes that need to be drilled and tapped. when you get to the new engine, take a scribe or something to scratch the metal or a sharpie and mark the holes that need to be drilled and tapped, take a center punch and mark the center as close as you can, then drill a small pilot hole like 1/16" or something then drill the correct size hole for the tap ( I believe it's 3/16" for a 6mm). at least one of the holes goes all the way through to the crank case so you will want to be careful, with the front cover off you can catch all of the chips without a problem just use some loctite or thread sealant on the bolts when you put it on. That should cover that part.

you have to use the crank pulley from your '91 engine, it'll swap right over. Once you get the sensor mounted and the crank pulley in place check the crank sensor alignment, take the pulley part of the pulley off (4 bolts with 10mm heads) and rotate the engine, there are some points where you can see both vanes entering the sensor, just make sure they are close to centered, when I used this method I didn't have to align the sensor after the swap it started right up, but it doesn't hurt to check.

any questions, ask :)

Last edited:

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Its not that hard to swap over if you have the motor out yet.You have a couple othe intake issues to overcome also.We never put a -95 intake on a +95 engine so I don't know that outcome.the other way,the +95 intake won't cover up the water jacket port in the -95 head so you have to weld up a section.
Won`t be a problem I`m using +95 head

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals