• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Driveline Shop needs More Specs - Please Help

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I requested a quote from a local custom driveline shop for a 1-piece rear drive shaft for my extended cab 1987 Ranger STX 4x4 AT. Here is the reply I received...

"We will need the specs to build a 1 piece before we can quote you.

CV or no ?

Tranny connection?

Rear end connection ?

Overall length ?"

From what I can tell...

CV or no ? (I have no idea)

Tranny connection? (connects to transfer case w/ 2.5 spacing???)

Rear end connection ? (connects to rear with 2.5 spacing???)

Overall length ? (47 inches based off an article I read)

If anyone can help me answer these questions, that would be great!

Thanks.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
wow, where are you ordering from?
i might suggest Tom Woods custom driveshafts. i have ordered two from them and both were perfect, and shipped the very next morning.
they also have a very nice and easy to use printable PDF Measuring guide.

i would assume you do not want a CV, but a standard slip two joint driveshaft (One Ujoint at each end).
you will also need to measure the entire length with weight on the rear from Flange/Yoke of the transfer case to the Flange/Yoke of the rear axle, then jack it up and support it by the frame so there is no weight on the rear axle and measure again. they will be able to determine the proper tube diameter, but i can tell you the one i have for my 95 ranger was very thick because of the length

then they want to know how it bolts up to either end. it's usually a flange yoke to flange yoke, and need to measure the distance between bolts (vertically, horizontally and diagonally then the circumference of the center of the yoke where the flange will meet it (this is the part the splines bolt up to the yoke, and is round and right in the center).
The flanges are usually a preset, which means if you get the circular measurement the diagonal measurement from bolt to bolt and vertical/horizonta measurements, they will already have a flange available for you.

i can assure you all the measuring is a pain, but well worth it.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply. Curious, how much for a drive shaft from Tom Woods?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
they offer a one time "if anything happens to it at all we replace it free" guarantee for an extra 20% of the total.

regularly it was 350.00.
with the gurantee it was 425.00. the great thing is you can save this guarantee until something real bad happens, like you damage the splines. they will retube it if it gets bent for 60.00. just ship it to them and they ship it back.

they are very friendly also. not trying to plug anything here, but i just have never had a bad dealing with them, and the first shaft i ordered was slighhtly shorter than i needed. they said to send it back, and made a new one no cost. i now have two incredible shafts....just in case that rock jumps out at me! ;missingteeth;

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm guessing the local guys at "Driveline Specialties" will cost every bit of that. Looks like it's time to start heading to the JY and look for a 98+ extended cab!

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i have done that also.
if you do, just remember to get the Yoke/Flange from the transfer case it came off just in case. The flange comes in two different sizes, and oddly enough the three i got were the large size and did not bolt up to the original transfer case in my truck!

of course you can go with a Spicer 1310 to 1300 Ujoint (part number 5-134x), but it's just bothersome to swap this out when you can just bolt on a new yoke!

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i have done that also.
if you do, just remember to get the Yoke/Flange from the transfer case it came off just in case. The flange comes in two different sizes, and oddly enough the three i got were the large size and did not bolt up to the original transfer case in my truck!

of course you can go with a Spicer 1310 to 1300 Ujoint (part number 5-134x), but it's just bothersome to swap this out when you can just bolt on a new yoke!
Thanks for that info, I will refer to this thread when I pick one up. I see they got a '99 in my local PnP a few weeks ago. Also just got an 89 in yesterday (won't help my driveline issue, but a fresh one to look thru).

Thanks G!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals