• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I see Teslas every day. But I live north of Dallas. You see everything here.

I'd love to build an electric offroad truck. Just sayin...
I think the best is yet to come for electric offroading. Once Rivian perfects motors mounted in the wheel, people will be able to hack these up and do some pretty cool stuff. Ground clearance would never be an issue again

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I still think its a joke.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Tesla did actually do something RIGHT...
They shot one into space, actually finding a proper place for it.
:tease:
Grumpaw

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Gasoline/fossil fuels are one of the most energy dense things on earth.

They are easy to transport, store, are stable enough for average idiots to handle and are way more plentiful then the rare metals used in batteries.

The only thing EVs have is the emissions. But when your tesla is plugged into a fossil fired plant is it really any better?

Not to mention the fact that yes while electric is cheap now...it wont be if EVs become mainstream. Running your fridge will become as pricey as sitting their idleing your 351 all night.

And dont fool yourself. Renewables are not cheaper and can never supply the amount of power we need.

Fossil fuels are the only way to sustain the modern power hungry life we all live,
Energy dense is very true. Easy to transport? Gas explodes.

EV's also use less energy overall going same distance. The Tesla gets around 130 mpg similar to a gas car

*curent batteries use alot of precious metals. Massive amounts of time and energy are being put into new ways using more basic elements. How much have gas engine really changed in all the years?

I'm not saying we drop oil completely but so what if I don't buy as much of it. Renewables can't replace everything but what's wrong with trying a little here and there?

I've given stats before on where my energy in Kansas comes from but that won't matter with solar panels as my energy will be 100% self supplied.

We need fossil fuels to sustain our old ways. new technology allows for new stuff. Lightbulbs are a proof with LED's using 75% less energy than old incandescents.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Tesla did actually do something RIGHT...
They shot one into space, actually finding a proper place for it.
:tease:
Grumpaw
The CyberTruck is being made of the exact same material as space ships.....

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
....and you would be crazy to take an electric anything miles from civilization.
Not a problem; simply set your phaser on "stun", and shoot the battery.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Gasoline engines havent changed?

Seriously?

Go open the louvers on a model T then pop the hood on a new F150. Youll correct that statement.

This is an unwinable debate.

Drive your EV i dont care. But for every EV theres gonna be 10 more guys driving around in V8s getting 11mpg, ill be the latter.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While there may be lots of fossil fuel left, its getting more and more expensive to extract it. It won't be long before alternative energy is close to par in cost to produce.
Nuclear is viable if people can overcome fear.
Eventually the planet will run out of easily accessable fossil fuel. We need to get working on an answer now so our grandkids have a reasonable chance at a fairly easy life like we've had for the last 100 years.
Electricity is an easy way to transport energy with the proper infrastructure. That needs drastic upgrading.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Not a problem; simply set your phaser on "stun", and shoot the battery.
Lmao.

That reminded me of this video, watch all of it youll see why...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
10 full pages of you two bickering...

These types of advances are gonna be coming at a rapid pace... might as well get use to it..

I didn't watch the reveal... but I caught a snip-it on the news this morning. Threw something at the unbreakable glass... twice. This tells me it's part hype... but these will be our reality someday.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Electric may be the way of the future generations due to oil reserves declining but for the piston engine guys like me there's always propane kits to keep running our old trucks well into the future. Guess you could bring an extra BBQ tank in case you run out. Recently I read on another TRS post that we have 300 years of propane in the USA alone - when gasoline gets back up over $3/gal the boys in NoDak turn the fracking wells back on and propane prices hit the floor.

Electric trucks aren't a threat to IC unless you live in the People's Republic of California. To me it's cool stuff but I'm not ready for an electric truck I didn't build myself. Make one that looks like a normal truck with a normal driveline in it and the ability to charge it from a generator in the bed or on a trailer while moving then we'll talk.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
When one of these becomes available for consumer use, I'll be interested. Just not ready for something that runs on Bunny Batteries.
Grumpaw

Attachments

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
The phrase "renewable energy" is one intended to confuse. Energy is not a thing, it's a flow - it flows from higher concentrations to lower. Chiefly on earth the energy we have access to is solar energy which flows from the sun to dissipate at the background temperature of the earth. It's a one way trip and can never be renewed. What people are really talking about is stored solar energy (fossil fuel) or the real time flows of solar energy. The latter is what humans have always had access to, while discovering and learning to use the stored energy of fossil fuels is what allowed our industrial society and the present population.

When battery technology advances to the same level of convenience as gas, electric cars will be the norm.
As I wrote upthread, it has nothing to do with technology - technology cannot change the laws of physics. Refilling your tank with gasoline and recharging a battery are two very different things. The first is simple moving matter that had solar energy stored in it millions of years ago, while the second is storing the energy. There are limitations on the rate you can store the energy, but not much on moving the liquid fuel.

The CyberTruck is being made of the exact same material as space ships.....
Why would that make sense? It's not a space ship.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Electric may be the way of the future generations due to oil reserves declining but for the piston engine guys like me there's always propane kits to keep running our old trucks well into the future. Guess you could bring an extra BBQ tank in case you run out. Recently I read on another TRS post that we have 300 years of propane in the USA alone - when gasoline gets back up over $3/gal the boys in NoDak turn the fracking wells back on and propane prices hit the floor.

Electric trucks aren't a threat to IC unless you live in the People's Republic of California. To me it's cool stuff but I'm not ready for an electric truck I didn't build myself. Make one that looks like a normal truck with a normal driveline in it and the ability to charge it from a generator in the bed or on a trailer while moving then we'll talk.

View attachment 33820

Had to do a double take on that one. Thought it was some sort of Rube Goldberg beer cooler...

Batteries explode too. They're basically a bomb on the EV scale. Hell we can't even make a safe hoverboard yet. ;)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals