• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35swap. Ok, how do i fix this one...

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably something for 4x4Junkie...

Ok, so me and my buddies ripped the old D28 out of my 87 Bii and bolted in a junkyard D35 out of a 91 xploder. Everything went well and it all seemed too good to be true actually. Untill we set it on the ground.

Drove it around the block so it would settle so we could align it. And when I pulled into the driveway my tires were almost literally facing like this "/--\" (front view)
Wheel berrings and balljoints are good, so I was pretty much just sumped.

Took it to an alignment shop and they said it was un-alignable. "The cams had already been turned all the way out" but I'm going to test that tomorrow because they didn't even look under the vehicle. They just saw it in the parking lot and said oh F that lol. Then I took it to 4wheel parts, they quoted me $260 for an alignment. So yeah pretty sure that's not happening.

Is there anything that I can/should do to aid this? This is my DD so I kinda need it back...

About the truck...
It has a superlift 4.5 or 4in lift kit and a 3in BL. On 33in tires. I used the same springs and everything that I was running on the D28.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, kolton

This is the second time this truck has gotten a D35. The first on was lost in a wreck so I put the D28 back in. I never had this problem the first time.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Well, considering you had to do an entire beam swap, you're caster is probably, no, it is mess up. Along with some toe in issues, toe in will cause the tires to bend in like that and also give it some lift as the tires want to push the truck upwards. Assuming the picture is of toe and not camber.
If that's negative camber, could be toe out then which would cause tires to pull down the truck. Put the truck into reverse and see if the camber changes any. Sure sign of toe being out of alignment.
Does it pull to one side? Is there serious camber change throughout the steering from lock to lock?(bad caster)
In the end, install some adjustable bushings, and get it aligned. You CAN'T do it yourself. Those machines are accurate to something like .1% of a degree.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
bigger coils? lol

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Toe is way off, the passenger side tierod end had been loosend by my friend... Didn't bother to tell me. So ill get that straight tomorrow.
The truck drives straight down the road, and in reverse the tires stand up a little, but not a whole lot. Driving forward the truck is pulled down towards the front.

/--\ is the view at the front of the truck, not from above. If that helps the ideas.

Oreilly's has the -4/+4 bushings, but from what it looks like, its way more than just 4degrees off

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You have the steering linkage for the d35 on the truck right? Not the stock d28 linkage?

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, its the D35 steering linkage, with the 4in or 4.5in drop pitman arm.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the beams were cut and turned already if the camber is that far off. Does it look like they have been?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If the tires stand up when you reverse, your toe is off. The front of your tires are sticking 'out' too much, so when you drive forward, the suspension gets 'pushed' down. But......I doubt it would cause that much camber...

You have a Superlift 4.5" kit, which means you probably have two holes on your axle beam drop brackets. If so, which holes did you use, top or bottom holes??

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have a Superlift 4.5" kit, which means you probably have two holes on your axle beam drop brackets. If so, which holes did you use, top or bottom holes??
that was my question.....if in the lower hole....move up to the upper hole....

l8r, John

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yes, definitely sounds like an alignment (toe-out) problem to me also. I'd try sticking a steel plate with a couple dowels under one of the front tires to relieve any tension between them and see where your camber really is (until you get the toe even close to correct, that's really about the only reliable way to do it. See near the bottom of this page).

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I fixed the toe out problems and the truck almost sits up as it should. Gonna go get the -4/+4 cams tomorrow and dail it all in. The lift only has one option for the beams to bolt up too. And no, the beams had never been cut and turned. (Damn I wish they had been though! Haha)

Ill update tomorrow and maby some pics if I can figure it out on my phone. Thanks

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
rember also, the d35 is a bit wider than the 28,so coil for coil, the coils are going to be shoter in static height so to say.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got my adjustable bushings... How the hell do I dail this in? I'm reallÝ sorry for all the questions and I'm pretty sure I'm making this harder than it is.
How do I measure what the camber is at the moment? And what should I be adjusing it to?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Read the link three posts above yours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals