• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 28 4.56

ftkdngorgeous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 1987 ranger "bigfoot cruiser". Some one before me put in 4.56 gears.anyone know where I can find a replacement ring and pinion for it. Thanks.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Dana28 gears have not been available for probably 10 years or longer.
My suggestion would be to swap to the later Dana35 front axle and put 4.56s in that.

The D35 is a far better & stronger axle anyway, and it's 100% bolt-in if you have a suspension lift (no suspension lift = shorten the front driveshaft 1 inch).
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/D28_D35_swap.html

Hope that helps
Welcome to TRS. :beer:

ftkdngorgeous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I have most of the parts for the dana 35, I think the only thing I am missing is one of the axle beams. Honestly I am little nervous to tear into this as it is the Bigfoot Cruiser. I know they are a rare truck. I would like to keep it as stock as possible. I got this truck as a "gift". It sat for 6 years after someone stripped the ring and pinion. after cleaning the fuel system including injectors, replacing most of the ignition system. I have it running almost right. If I can find the right gears or I can convince myself to put the 35 in I just might keep it.:icon_confused:. Does anyone know a good place to get the 4.56s for the Dana 35 for decent money?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Does anyone know a good place to get the 4.56s for the Dana 35 for decent money?
Good place right here:
http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/

As for the D28... Is this going to be just for show? If so, then it probably wouldn't really matter too much (except there's still the issue of trying to find a replacement 4.56 ring & pinion or a used differential chunk). However if you plan to actually drive it offroad at all, it would be foolish to put any coin at all into the D28 (the D28 really has no business on a vehicle any larger than a golf cart).
You can see how radically bigger the D35 axle innards are compared to the D28 here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_Front_Axles.html

What I would do is swap the D35 in, but keep the D28 parts on hand just so you have them if you ever decide to restore and maybe sell the truck. This way you can drive it around, and hopefully maybe you can locate a used 4.56 D28 chunk or gears for it in the meantime.

JohnAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
33x10.50r15
Thank you. I have most of the parts for the dana 35, I think the only thing I am missing is one of the axle beams. Honestly I am little nervous to tear into this as it is the Bigfoot Cruiser. I know they are a rare truck. I would like to keep it as stock as possible. I got this truck as a "gift". It sat for 6 years after someone stripped the ring and pinion. after cleaning the fuel system including injectors, replacing most of the ignition system. I have it running almost right. If I can find the right gears or I can convince myself to put the 35 in I just might keep it.:icon_confused:. Does anyone know a good place to get the 4.56s for the Dana 35 for decent money?
I know this is a dead thread but did you find that 4.56 gear set?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals