• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 28 P.O.S

thebison

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
ranger 1988
ma
Make / Model
Ranger ex. cab
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im sick and tierd of my dana 28 axel, ive been busting axel shafts left, right and center. every time i go out to do a difficult trail "pop" there she goes again. the eye;s of the shaft just mangle and the universal is disintigrated. pics soon. and after replacing the driver side "once again" yesterday i go out tonight and blow the passenger side shaft. and now im stuck at the bottom of this knarley trail in 2wd and ended up winching myself and getting towed where i could for 5 hours straight. i need to fix this problem asap. do you think i should upgrade to the dana 35? or do a sas. open to opinions. :pissedoff:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Either way is just as equally effective in solving the D28 toothpick shaft issue... The D35 is much easier to just bolt in though.

What size tires you running? Locked?

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
I have 33's and a dana 28 frontend. Where i live (spokane) its more of a sandy/granite soil. Ive gone wheeling 3 or 4 times with the 33's and havent broke anything yet, and I hammmer the pedal on hill climbs. Another thing thats weird is that my truck outwheels my buddys 84 toyota that has a 5 inch spring lift and 35's(txr's), and he has a little more flex. I have a 4 inch lift and 33's(xterrains), could it be the tires? both have the same amount of tread.

thebison

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
ranger 1988
ma
Make / Model
Ranger ex. cab
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no im not locked and im running 33" mud terrains. im on my last spare shaft right now so im going to see what happens with this one and if either of them brake again my foreman said hed sell me his 92 ranger with the dana 35 setup and just use the rest of the truck for spare parts i think hes asking like 500 bucks or somthing so i thought might as well giver a go. i run into all terrains but sand where i am. i live on the west coast of british columbia canada so theres alot of different terrains. lots of river crossings rock bluffs, mud, trees roots. best places to wheel is here. just alot of carnage when your having fun.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, go with the D35, no question.

The axleshafts in the D35 use the same u-joints as a D44. You shouldn't have any issues even if you do throw a locker in it (except possibly with the locking hubs, there are upgraded hubs available however. Read through here for upgrades you can do on the D35).

Just make sure the gear ratio matches your rear when you throw that 35 in. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals