• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 28 to 35 swap ?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You can move the axle forward up to about an inch by shimming the radius arms forward at the bushings. Be sure to locktite the nut though as you will no longer be able to tighten it to bottom without crushing the bushing.

As for the 0-3.125° bushing, I think you're looking at a mis-labeled fixed-degree one, there is no adjustable-degree bushing that goes that high.

I would get the 2-piece Ingalls 594 or Moog K8986 bushings. These are fully-adjustable and go up to 2.5°.

BTW, I think the 132X coils are for the 4.0L V6 IIRC. Unless you have the 4.0 (or a V8 swap), I would get the 132 coils (less likely to be unalignable due to being too tall).

scootr2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
To shim the RA's, I assume stacking washers together gets the job done or is there another type of spacer that works better?

I bought a used set of coils from a boy who has the 2.3L in his truck, so they should work fine with my 2.9L.

What is needed to determine what degree bushing I will need? And is there a good how-to on installing the bushings?

Thanks for all the help!

Mickey

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, washers work good (you can see a couple washers ahead of the bushing in this pic)

To determine the size camber/caster bushing needed, you have to put your truck on an alignment machine and take some measurements.
This is why I like the 2-pc adjustable ones. If you need a different degree, you can just adjust it, you don't have to go through a whole bunch of work to find out what degree is needed ahead of time (especially if you're doing the alignment yourself).

scootr2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is there a detailed thread on how to swap this axle? I read the tech library but without it having any pictures, it's hard to understand.

Is it a direct swap from the Expo to the Ranger or is there anything special I will have to do? I hope that extending the RA's a bit will allow me to not have to lengthen my drive shaft. What do ya'll think?

Mickey

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals