• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 30 SAS

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats different between the 91-94 and the 95+ Dana 35's? Also, what spline are they and what spline are the D28's? Im trying to do a little comparing.
What makes the '95-'97 Dana 35 TTB better is the 2 piston brake calipers. The '90-'94 Dana 35 TTB has the same single piston caliper as your Dana 28 TTB does.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So both D28 and D35 are 27 spline? The D35 has bigger bearing, bigger ring and pinion, bigger carrier.....
No of a good website for the D35 parts?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no the d28 is 23 spline the d35 is 27 spline. every thing on the d35 is bigger and stronger. at the top of this page click on the tech library you will find every thing you need to know on makein the d35 stronger.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Swap in a Dana 35 TTB, it is stronger and cheaper to build. To get a Dana 30 as strong as a STOCK Dana 44, you will spend $1,500+ on it.
It's not possible to make a D30 as strong as a D44 no matter how much $$$ & bling (turd polish) you throw at it, the ring & pinion gears are just too small.

The D35 has a LARGER pinion shaft diameter than a d44. This recoups much of the strength otherwise lost to the D35's smaller ring gear (less pinion deflection). It's actually very close in strength overall to the D44.

Definitely stay away from the 30 (reports of how well they hold up with 35s, 37s, etc. on the Jeep don't apply to RBVs either, the RBV is a significantly heavier vehicle)

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
now how about making a dana 35 an a solid axil...i remeber seeing somethin like that a wile back....be kind of neet to make it a tec right up

Live 2B OffRoad

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
i have put d35 from 94 explorer in a b2 and havnt had any problems. its got 31s and give HELL and it asks for more. but thats only 31s. my personal vehicle is a 93 ranger ex-cab with a HP D44. the HP set up has less deflection wich equals to more strength with the d35 is also a HP. idk about the d30s.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
i have put d35 from 94 explorer in a b2 and havnt had any problems. its got 31s and give HELL and it asks for more. but thats only 31s. my personal vehicle is a 93 ranger ex-cab with a HP D44. the HP set up has less deflection wich equals to more strength with the d35 is also a HP. idk about the d30s.
D30s were made in LP and HP variations.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
instead of a D30 why not find a HP44 from a Wrangler or cherokee, my cousin's classic cherokee (don't recall what year but it says classic cherokee on it so it has to be newer that the first liberties) came stock with a HP44. Also talked to wrangler owner while in AZ last week and told me most Sahara models had HP44. just a thought. if not then use a D35 from an explorer, it is easier to find the right axle in an exporer and upgrade the brakes from an explorer, no more guessing if its a D35/28 Hybrid

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
instead of a D30 why not find a HP44 from a Wrangler or cherokee, my cousin's classic cherokee (don't recall what year but it says classic cherokee on it so it has to be newer that the first liberties) came stock with a HP44. Also talked to wrangler owner while in AZ last week and told me most Sahara models had HP44. just a thought. if not then use a D35 from an explorer, it is easier to find the right axle in an exporer and upgrade the brakes from an explorer, no more guessing if its a D35/28 Hybrid
No jeep since early 90's (when the Waggy died out, which were LPD44's) has come with a D44 front other then the Rubicon and that isnt even a real D44. The sahara models don't come with HP44's so that jeep owner was wrong. The rubicon is the only (US model) TJ to come with a front 44 and as said it isnt a real D44. rear D44's were an option on some TJ's though.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I had it confused with the rubicon ........ sorry ...... I am watching Sahara right now

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had it confused with the rubicon ........ sorry ...... I am watching Sahara right now
Those axles are "dana44's" They aren't real Dana 44's as they have Dana 30 outers and take special gears. I wouldn't recommend using one as they are extremely expensive and not much of a difference then a D30 for the big price jump.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Those axles are "dana44's" They aren't real Dana 44's as they have Dana 30 outers and take special gears. I wouldn't recommend using one as they are extremely expensive and not much of a difference then a D30 for the big price jump.

keep in mind I just had surgery and was high on vicoden when I was talking to him so we could have been talking about the rear axle. For that matter why not make the D35 from the back of a wrangler a steerable axle and run that in the front? personally I would still stick with the 35ttb and just use all of Junkie's mods to it.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 95-up D30s (with the larger joints) don't have CAD, IMO the d35 is easier to work on, also if you bust a shaft on a D30 you must swap another one in since you need the shafts in or the bearings will come apart and if you leave a broken shaft in the axle it's going to flop around since there's no hubs to unlock.
Came here to say this...

As for Jeep D44's...

'87-'89 XJ's (Cherokees) had the option of a rear D44
Some TJ's (Wranglers) had D44 rears (Sahara's, Rubicon's)
TJ Rubicons came with a front LP D44 center with D30 outers
JK Rubicons come with D44 rears and LP D44 fronts, they are 5x5 bolt pattern though

As for welding a TTB D35 into a solid axle, it has been done, but by the time everything is welded together, you have an axle that is heavier that a D44.

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals