• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 TTB center slip yoke vent.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I noticed while assembling and cycling my TTB that the slip yoke seems to create a vacuum and pressure inside while it slips in and out and its taking a toll on the little clip inside the passenger hub...

Should there be a vent for air or does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've never had any issues there myself... Are you running a circlip-eliminator spring? Did you grease the axle end assembly well? (the splined washer where it rests up against the end of the spindle)?

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Everything is greased well. And no c clip eliminator here.

I have a ton of plunge with 16-17" travel and at high speed its deff taking a toll on the clip because of the vacuum and compression in the female slip yoke. Should it have a vent hole like some driveshafts and mine is caked over or something?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, it's not possible to vent it without water, dust and other gook entering into it.

Which "clip" is it you're speaking about? The C-clip that holds the splined washer on at the outer stub axle? Or the E-clip inside the diff? What exactly is happening to the clip?

I ask only because I can't see how that could be damaging either clip (any vacuum or pressure inside the boot is not going to create more than maybe 10-15lbs force on it at the most), the only thing I've ever seen in this area is the splined washers themselves getting chewed up against the spindle, which was why I mentioned greasing it well. If this is what's happening, maybe switching to the '95-'97 3-piece washer setup could help (it uses two steel washers with a Delrin plastic "bearing" between them, rather than the metal-against-metal of the '90-'94 setup).

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well i have a hard time pushing the axle shaft in and out. And yea thats exactly what's happening. The splined washer with the clip is getting chewed up. Ill try that upgrade! Thanks again 4x4junkie!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No prob. :icon_thumby:

Also be sure you're using a moly-based extreme-pressure CV joint grease on the slip-yoke spline (ordinary bearing grease might not be enough for it, which could cause additional strain on those parts).

Good luck on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals