• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 44 knuckles question

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i've got a deal in the works on getting an EB d44. but i'm under the impression i can put pretty much any d44 knuckle out assembly on it, is this true? Cuz if it is, i was planning on getting a hold of waggy d44 knuckle out assembly and running high steer on em, cuz that way i get disc brakes too. If not, do i have to use different knuckle out combination or what? just wanna be sure my idea will work before i drop a lot money on stuff only to find out it don't.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
That swap will work. But it will give you 6 bolt wheels so you will still need to find 5 bolt front hubs or get adapters for the rear.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
After doing my swap, I'd rather run the 6 lug pattern then the big 5 (5 on 5.5). Rims are much more available due to toyota's and chevy's. Run adapters on the rear, and call it done.

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've got a deal in the works on getting an EB d44. but i'm under the impression i can put pretty much any d44 knuckle out assembly on it, is this true? Cuz if it is, i was planning on getting a hold of waggy d44 knuckle out assembly and running high steer on em, cuz that way i get disc brakes too. If not, do i have to use different knuckle out combination or what? just wanna be sure my idea will work before i drop a lot money on stuff only to find out it don't.
Yes. U can I used knuckle from a 79 10 blot

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That swap will work. But it will give you 6 bolt wheels so you will still need to find 5 bolt front hubs or get adapters for the rear.
i was gonna throw adapters on the rear anyways cuz i got the 8.8 31 spline w/ disc brakes and detriot locker already set up. just gonna swap out the gears for 5.13 when i get the front done.

After doing my swap, I'd rather run the 6 lug pattern then the big 5 (5 on 5.5). Rims are much more available due to toyota's and chevy's. Run adapters on the rear, and call it done.
i didn't even think about the bolt pattern being the same as chevy! theres TONS of chevys around down here too:icon_thumby:

Yes. U can I used knuckle from a 79 10 blot
If i can find a 10 bolt i'll probly use that, just cuz they are a dime a dozen from what i hear.

ANOTHER question for you guys with hi-steer now, do you drive your truck on the road with no problems while running hi-steer?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I run cross over high steer on my rig using 1 ton chevy TRE's. I have ZERO issues with it......other then I'd make sure to run the short TRE's from a drag link rather then the long ones I ended up with. I've put just over 60,000 km on mine since it was installed, and it's about the only thing I'm keeping when I swap in my other axle.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wahlstrom i don't suppose you could post a pic up of your set up? I'm curious how you did the cross-over, cuz i was thinking of doing that, but ain't quite sure how to do it quite yet. haven't seen a very good pic of one yet.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
This should work for ya. I'm using NorthWestFab high steer arms, and 1 ton chevy TRE's with 1 1/4" .250wall DOM for tie rod material.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
THANKS! thats a lot better of a pic than what i've seen before. Everything is really easy to see. I'll probably start a build thread up here pretty soon... just waiting to get the housing as it got shipped today :D and then gonna be working on getting the guts and knuckles out.

Northern

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok just up front, Ill be on topic but a little off the road too.

Back a few years ago I lived in Alaska. :headbang:
When I lived there I owned a 93 4x4 Explorer that was bone stock.
but thats another story...

I also had a play toy, a 1970 IHC Scout 800A.
304CI IHC Motor, 456 gears, 4 speed dana, twin stick D18.
42" arch in front and 38" in the rear, 36" TSL's, reverse shackles up front, stock width springs but reworked by MR Scout for a 2" lift and spring over setup.
High steer, long travel shock setup, and the list goes on.

now for those of you that do not know a Scout both 80 and 800 are short wheel base 100" about the same as a EB. Now we all know EB has a D44 front axle. but a SII had a D44 up front, a 80 at best had d27 and a 800 would have had just about any Dana it could up to a D44 depending on the power plant and application it was meant for.

After some time to build mine up I ended up using a Shorten 10 bolt case and knuckles, with both SII and 800 Axle parts up front. this gave me the stock 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern on a 10 bolt and allowed me to also have all the benefits of the high steer setup, disk brakes and more parts at parts houses.

I can go into detail what was used if needed.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
I've read you can run ford 5 on 5.5 rotors hubs and wheel bearings on chevy knuckles and spindles, using chevy calipers. They both have 9.94" 19 spl stubs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals