• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana44 front dana 60 rear.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys im selling my waggy dana 44, but thats not what this thread is about. Here very soon i want to go get some the axles for my sas and i wasnt sure of the pricing.

what im going to get is a full width dana 44 and a dana 60 out of a 78 f250.

i know they are probably pretty common but i didnt know if that would effect the price. does anyone know of the prices these will run for???

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Personally i dont think id pay more than $200 for a set. Try junkyards (my local pick-your-part is half off this weekend) and classifieds/craigslist should have what you need. Dana 60 rears can sometimes be found for free on forums and stuff. :cool:

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Personally i dont think id pay more than $200 for a set. Try junkyards (my local pick-your-part is half off this weekend) and classifieds/craigslist should have what you need. Dana 60 rears can sometimes be found for free on forums and stuff. :cool:
oh good. ill have money to spare. thats weird that they run that cheap. the fronts are reverse cut and high pinion and disk, they are set up for leafsprings so thats good cause my setup is too. and the rear dana 60s are strong axles too. especially geared to 5:13 or so.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
so $200 for a decent conditioned pair? i might also want to grab the driveshafts. after i put in my 12" chevy leafs, i dont think my shafts will extend long enough. would those driveshafts connect to a 4x4 ranger tranny? i figured they would work. and be less expensive than custom shafts.

oh and while im at it i might as well grab the leaf spring perches for the front.

i could probably get all of that for maybe $250-300?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Might be further ahead grabbing a D44/9 inch combo out of a Bronco or F150. The D44 would already come with radius arms, the axles would be just as strong (for the most part) and the axles would also be lighter. Either way though, it is really your choice, whatever you have available to you. As for the price, I have seen complete running trucks under $400, so you should definitely be able to snag the axles for a couple of bills. As for the rear D60's being cheap, yeah, they almost have to give them away. By the time you bore the spindle (most come 30 spline), swap in disc brakes, shave the housing, lock and regear, you probably could have saved yourself some time and money by staring with a different axle. But again, it is all personal preference. Keep us posted....:icon_thumby:

hick

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
i thought that it would be more heave duty and stronger. im going to be turning 41" iroks.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Are you planning on boring out the D60 spindles to use larger aftermarket shafts? I have serious doubts that the stock shafts would be up to the task. The 44 front will definately be a ticking time bomb on 41's.

It seems like we've had this discussion before, and you've read all of these same comments warning you of the stress put on those lighter duty axles by that large of a tire. Do whatyou will, I think you'd be far better off with a 60 front and 14ff rear, or maybe a Sterling 10.25. The rear 60 in stock form just isn't as strong.

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
im going to be turning 41" iroks.
Didnt know that. Just to let you know and save yourself the trouble (and $$ in the long run): put the money for 60's in now. Unless you plan on doing NO wheeling with this truck, a dana 44 has no chance unless you put major $$$ into it.

Im running 39.5" Iroks in my BII and im already upgrading the outers because under harsh conditions (hard wheeling and big tires), even a stock dana 60 is being pushed pretty far. Just my $.02

Sam

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Didnt know that. Just to let you know and save yourself the trouble (and $$ in the long run): put the money for 60's in now. Unless you plan on doing NO wheeling with this truck, a dana 44 has no chance unless you put major $$$ into it.

Im running 39.5" Iroks in my BII and im already upgrading the outers because under harsh conditions (hard wheeling and big tires), even a stock dana 60 is being pushed pretty far. Just my $.02

Sam
Personally I have kinda given up on convincing people to go with a D60 in the front. If they insist on running a D44 or a D30, I let them. I figure that it is their money and their rig, they can build it how they see fit. Personally I have seen D44's hold up to 38's behind a healthy small block (open axle of course). While it is not ideal, some people do make it work. A lot depends on the terrain and the type of wheeling as well. Sand and a little mud, maybe the occasional dirt trails should be alright. Rock crawling, vertical ledges, forget it.

As for my comment about a D44/9 inch combo being as strong as a D44/D60 combo, you really aren't gaining a whole lot with the 3/4 ton stuff. You get better bearings and thicker axle tubes, that is about it. The shafts aren't any bigger, no advantage with the ring and pinion, not much difference with the steering/knuckles either.

hick

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
well i dont plan on hardxcore wheeling it. too tell you the truth pretty much all im going to be doing is mudding, trail riding, and pulling people out. its indiana and its pretty flat. but i did plan on putting in some aftermarket axles in it. and regeared of course.

as for the 14ff... is it really that much stronger? cause ive always heard its about the same with 3 less inches of ground clearance.

also where would i be able to find a 14ff? and for how much? would it be as cheap as a rear dana 60?

i know a front 60 might be stronger than a 44 but they are also like $600 for one that is in acceptable condition. compared to a $100 i just see it that i could beef it up and save money. the 44 and the 60 were coming out of the same vehical. same side drop, same bolt pattern, same width, less time and money spent i would think

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
well i dont plan on hardxcore wheeling it. too tell you the truth pretty much all im going to be doing is mudding, trail riding, and pulling people out. its indiana and its pretty flat. but i did plan on putting in some aftermarket axles in it. and regeared of course.

as for the 14ff... is it really that much stronger? cause ive always heard its about the same with 3 less inches of ground clearance.
Yes. Stock-for-stock, the 14ff is considerably stronger than the Dana 60.

QuakerShaker4242 said:
also where would i be able to find a 14ff? and for how much? would it be as cheap as a rear dana 60?
They are usually cheaper than D60's. I picked mine up for free, but they are commonly found for $50-150. They were in most 3/4T and all 1T GM trucks ever since about 1973.

QuakerShaker4242 said:
i know a front 60 might be stronger than a 44 but they are also like $600 for one that is in acceptable condition. compared to a $100 i just see it that i could beef it up and save money. the 44 and the 60 were coming out of the same vehical. same side drop, same bolt pattern, same width, less time and money spent i would think
The strength you can obtain through aftermarket parts on the 44 is comparable to that of a stock D60.

Ultimately, it's your money and your truck. Doing ti right the first time will save you immense amounts of money in the long run. I'm in IL and I know what type of wheeling we have here; I'm still overbuilding my truck. Pulling people out can add HUGE amounts of stress to components, especially on fairly aggressive 41" tires.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
They are usually cheaper than D60's. I picked mine up for free, but they are commonly found for $50-150. They were in most 3/4T and all 1T GM trucks ever since about 1973.
oh would you happen to know what bolt pattern they came in?

The strength you can obtain through aftermarket parts on the 44 is comparable to that of a stock D60.
what would be a considerable price for a D60? like one right out of the donor if that would be cheapest.

Ultimately, it's your money and your truck. Doing ti right the first time will save you immense amounts of money in the long run. I'm in IL and I know what type of wheeling we have here; I'm still overbuilding my truck. Pulling people out can add HUGE amounts of stress to components, especially on fairly aggressive 41" tires.

i totally see what you are saying. i want to build it strong. and i want to build it right. im just a broke college kid.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
oh would you happen to know what bolt pattern they came in?

what would be a considerable price for a D60? like one right out of the donor if that would be cheapest.

i totally see what you are saying. i want to build it strong. and i want to build it right. im just a broke college kid.
Lug pattern? 8x6.5

Price is widely variable, anywhere from $700-$1200 more than likely.

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
im just a broke college kid.
Can definitely relate there. Though i just justified my 60 front by telling myself "now you wont have to pay to replace broken parts". Handling the weight of my DIY beadlocks and 39.5" tall tires has definitely convinced me that a 44 would have had no chance. And maybe if you stick to the mud you will be fine but i wouldnt plan on pulling people out ESPECIALLY not backing up, or else you'll be a broke and stuck college kid that has a BIG towing bill to pay... Again just my $.02 :)

Sam

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
ok i think this sounds pretty solid... its going on my to get list...

front:
78-79 f350 reverse cut dana 60. high pinion

rear:
73-80 3/4 ton chevy full float 14 bolt. 10.5" ring gear.

ive been doing my research. sound good?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals