• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
It was definitely pulling and bouncing side to side, no sway bars whatsoever front or rear probably has a bit to do with that. But suspension wise it feels very predictable and smooth. I got on the brakes fairly hard at one point and their effectiveness actually surprised me. You plan to drive yours with the SAS fast?

I think a good part of my steering funk is that the column is still definitely not right. It’s creaking and groaning as much as ever and it still has this weird thing that happens while turning right after just turning left. It’s like it hits a small wall and then breaks through suddenly. Not something I want to keep around, it gives me some mild heart attacks cruising on the road at speed because it only seems to take a 15* turn to the left to reset this issue.
Definitely not driving it that fast in the dirt with a solid axle. The dang cab would probably fall off. (Kidding of course)

The columns in these things are fairly easy to pull out. Can you find lower mileage trucks in a junk yard down there?

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Definitely not driving it that fast in the dirt with a solid axle. The dang cab would probably fall off. (Kidding of course)

The columns in these things are fairly easy to pull out. Can you find lower mileage trucks in a junk yard down there?
There are some fast Solid axle setups these days! But I feel ya about the rust I have a few small spots to address but more so I worry about something not being tightened taking flight.

This is the lowest mile 93-97 I’ve seen in a long time, just rolled over 25k on the dash……..

I’m gonna wait for the second bearing and OEM wheel to come in, if none of that helps I’ll consider pulling it and investigating further while also swapping to a tilt column

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Man these wheel bearings/lock nut system are aggravating. I decided to pull the bearings to inspect since last night I submerged them for extended periods of time and many many times. I found the locking hub seal failed and filled with sandy water, but none seems to have made it to the bearings.

Upon reinstalling I had one of the locking tab washer jump the spindle grove and upon removing it, it sheared the stupid pin in the bearing nut. So I grabbed my spare and it also jumped the spindle groove. I want to disclaimer this was just using hand tools, a 12” long 1/2” ratchet was all I was using to torque down the other nut when these jumped the spindle.

I think I’m gonna order the stuff to do this overkill mod from the tech section. Also gonna use rtv from now on to seal the hubs to the rotor.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/blackbiis-dana-35-ttb-spindle-lock-nut-mod/

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Never mind screw the DIY method, not sure why these were 5 links down when I googled a solution they look perfect.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not gonna lie getting frustrated at this thing. Got the blitzkrieg nuts in and realized there’s no instructions in the box or online. Found an old TRS post saying they spoke to Blitz and were told the new lock nuts only replace the outer portion of the factory combo which doesn’t solve my problem of the key jumping the key way. So I probably installed them wrong but idc and I used two of the blitz nuts in each spindle and tightened the Allen bolts the best I could with a small hand Allen key because my socket key in that size is MIA.

Got the passenger side done and moved to the driver where everything went together great until I realized the axle stub was not able to be pulled out far enough to get the thrust washer and C clip installed. That’s when I noticed the U joint missing a cap 😭. So it’s going to a shop in the morning because I really really don’t want to pull that shaft and don’t have time for a few weeks anyway. Still not sure why I cannot seem to get more of the axle stub to pull out, I’m just assuming it U joint related.

Attachments

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I wouldn't think a missing cap would cause it be harder to pull out. Unless the cross is bent. Suppose that's possible. I do remember a round getting the right seals to put mine together originally though. I'm about to try it again...

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't think a missing cap would cause it be harder to pull out. Unless the cross is bent. Suppose that's possible. I do remember a round getting the right seals to put mine together originally though. I'm about to try it again...
Well I picked it up today and the u joint was replaced. Not sure if they got the thrust washer on or not, I forgot to ask. If that’s not it I’m not sure what is have to do to get the shaft further out. I bought new sets of the updated thrust washer system which should be here this week so I’ll dig into it Monday.

The TTB system isn’t that bad to assemble/disassemble if you did the c clip eliminator. But u joints suck to do if your bad at them like I obviously am lol

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I know it's possible to do u-joints by other means, but it's so much easier with the press that it's silly.

For me the hardest thing is getting the spindle back on the passenger side. That Echo spring is stronger than it looks.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ran out of gas today for the first time since I was 16 in my first ranger. I knew I was low but I genuinely thought there was a fuel light that would pop on. I also did realize that the needle stop at E, it doesn’t go far past the end of the gauge like it does when it’s full. So I pulled off the highway heading to a station and it died on me. Got it going again and limped slowest the half mile to the station and made it to the pump. Then the pump wasn’t working so I had to start it and go to another which it let me give it about 2 seconds of gas before dying again. Somehow I fit 16.9gal in a 16.3 gal tank so it was definitely empty. I’m a tad disappointed the MPG seems to keep dropping, down to 13.2 now and that’s corrected for tire size.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think the expensive Blitzkreig lock nuts fixed my bearing issue! Also the new U joint seems to have fixed the thrust washer not going on problem. I was able to get the thrust washer upgrade kit from Bronco Graveyard in on both sides. I like the triple washer setup with the soft washer in the middle to eliminate metal on metal issues. Hopefully it will stay good because I think I’m gonna take it out exploring tomorrow!

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Another good trip in the books, don’t believe anything broke either. However the slight overheating at speeds above 55mph is definitely still there. If I drop down to 50mph/2krpm it’s fine, but 60mph/2.5krpm and it gets warm fairly quickly. I experimented with turning the Efan off at speeds and that seemed to make it worse.

Oh well, the front locker is working awesome! If I wasn’t wheelin solo I would have tried a few obstacles in the clay mine that look to be made by SxSs. I also really really want that manual T case swap from Behemoth, that will probably be the next major mod.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Another good trip in the books, don’t believe anything broke either. However the slight overheating at speeds above 55mph is definitely still there. If I drop down to 50mph/2krpm it’s fine, but 60mph/2.5krpm and it gets warm fairly quickly. I experimented with turning the Efan off at speeds and that seemed to make it worse.

Oh well, the front locker is working awesome! If I wasn’t wheelin solo I would have tried a few obstacles in the clay mine that look to be made by SxSs. I also really really want that manual T case swap from Behemoth, that will probably be the next major mod.
Perhaps an oil cooler might help?

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps an oil cooler might help?
That’s something someone else suggested too, I just have a hard time imagining that 500rpm difference and no extra load is causing that much heat in the oil. I’m thinking the water pump is struggling to keep up although it’s new, or there’s junk blocking some passage somewhere. I’ve seen some pretty good sized Frosted Flakes come out when I’ve flushed stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals