• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daul shock options

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just got my ranger lifted and im running a temporary pair of shock up front till i decide and purchase new ones. i have the duff buckets and rad arms so i can run dual shocks up front. im wondering what opinions people have on different shocks, im considering monotube shocks but i figured they may be a bit overkill if i have daul monotube shocks up front. i have all the measurements i need to order im really just looking for some input on other experience. i do a good bit of fast paced trail driving but when im wheeling its mostly tight trails and hill climbs

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am running the duff, dual shocks in the front of my truck. The ride is very good seeing I have them combined with the duff springs. It is not to stiff nor to soft.

I had discused the dual rear shocks but thier thought was the back end would be way too stiff if I placed dual shocks on the rear of a ranger. Considering they could have sold me more stuff I have to go with what they said if they passed on making a few extra bucks.

mr. ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have the same set up the jd arms and buckets buy iam running skyjacker coils and shocks there the best rated coils for rangers and theere shocks are pretty good to i also like to "prerun" shit i like to go fast lloll skyjacker really soak stuff up

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If you are not into spending a bunch of money, Duff's shocks seem to have a pretty good reputation when combined with their coils. They definitely are not the best around (considering no shock that sells for around $35 can be that good) yet they still get mostly positive reviews from folks who have run them.

If you can spend a bit more, running dual Bilstein 5125's valved @ 170/60 would do you awesome.

Also consider their 5150's (stubbie, fixed reservoir) or their 7100 (with resi or no resi) in the 170/60 valved flavor. Can't go wrong with any of these.

And of course if you have the bronco dollars there is expensive versions of Rancho, Procomp shocks as well as the upper stuff like Fox, King, Radflo, FOA, ect ect. The list goes on.

Just depends on your budget.

IMHO, a single Bilstein 255/70 up front is sufficient for most any kind of terrain, except high speed pre-runnering (+40 for sustained intervals). Dual 170/60's would be an improvement.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im leaning towards 5150's, im only goin to run singles for now.... i wish i had a little more experience with valving but i guess the 255/70 should be ok? theyre down to $99 and free shipping on quadratec

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals