• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

debating on how much to drop???

parabellum1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 for now
Transmission
Manual
i have a 95 ranger xlt 2wd 2.3/5sp. ex cab .. im thinkn about a drop not sure how much id like , ive started my homework but not done yet .. 3 questions ..... how to fig out how much drop will look good for my likeing without trial and error ...
on a shackle flip , ive seen a few pics n it looks like it will hit the bed ??? is it just an optical illusion or do i have to cut the bed ....
im thinking about a 5.0 swap down the line, will the weight effect the drop in the front or will it stay same height with drop that i decide on now ???

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Trial and error? That's how I ended up where I am at now LOL.

Take some measurements, look at pics of other trucks to see where they are at. Also make not of the tire sizes people are running. I liked the way my truck looked for a DD when I only had a 2/4 drop. I was able to run 255-60-15 up front and 275-60-15 out back. They filled the wheelwell nicely and gave me pleanty of sidewall for comfortable driving. Now I have 225-60-15 front and 275-60-15 on a GEN II readend (they GEN I & II rears are 2" shorter the Gen 3+).

I feel the best place to start is with the beams. You'll get a solid 3" drop with them up front. The 2" springs vary between trucks, who made the springs and what motor you have.

The shackle flip, it'll clear just fine. I don't think anyone has had it hit the bed and al lot of people have asked that very question so don't feel bad. The shackle flip probably won't be enough to match the front drop if you go with beams though. You may want to think about going with coild up front or getting drop leaves or a flip kit for the rear.

I think the first pic has the 225-60's on the front and the second one has the 225-50.

James

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
check out the "two wheel suspension" forum/thread about "camber eccentric #'s". It has just about every angle on ways to lower & costs:icon_thumby: Edit: Looks great Illegal

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, I've had that one since new. I will not part with it, I went through all my stupid years in it and didn't break anything. It needs repainted but I REALLY want to get my motor done. Bigger rims would be nice too, I might have a lead on some 17" Mustang rims for cheap. I just gotta call the guy and see if he is ready to part with them yet.

James

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
just keep in mind however much you drop it....in 3 months you'll want to drop it more. hahaha thats what happened to me with my 92

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
[QUOTEjust keep in mind however much you drop it....in 3 months you'll want to drop it more. hahaha thats what happened to me with my 03[/QUOTE]

fixed, lol. thats no kidding,i tossed around the 2/3 and went with the 4/5,then flipped the rear shackles and it could still go a little lower! lol

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Now that's where the adjustable eccentric camber bushings pay for themselves. Once they're installed, all you gotta do is use the chart provided with the bushings. If you go lower, just dial in the bushings. If you decide to go higher--same thing.:yahoo: Edit: see the camber eccentric #'s thread

Last edited:

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
if i was you id just do dream beams in front and flipkit in rear. if u dont like it then u can go from there with it with blocks in rear to go lower and coils in front to go lower. 3/4 drop looks amazing on rangers.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I guess I'm immune to the "drop it more" syndrome. I raised my ranger back up 4" in the back last month. It was previously level.

I didn't want it THAT low, but now it's way too high. I got new front hangars for my leaf springs that'll lower my pickup just about 2". Maybe then I'll be happy with how it sits.

Oh, before I forget... The roads around where I live don't take too kindly to having 1/2" of suspension travel. That's the reason for lifting it up a bit.

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, before I forget... The roads around where I live don't take too kindly to having 1/2" of suspension travel. That's the reason for lifting it up a bit.
Yeah true...I guess. THey don't start fixing pot holes till around end of April up where I'm at. But I'm still going about 5/7 on my 1st gen. How low is yours now?

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
O saw your sig. Is it still 4/4 or did you raise it from that?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I raised it up.

It should be about 4/2, but its so high in the back in looks like a 4/0 drop.

(btw, thanks for reminding me to update my sig)

irishblessing

Trial and error? That's how I ended up where I am at now LOL.

Take some measurements, look at pics of other trucks to see where they are at. Also make not of the tire sizes people are running. I liked the way my truck looked for a DD when I only had a 2/4 drop. I was able to run 255-60-15 up front and 275-60-15 out back. They filled the wheelwell nicely and gave me pleanty of sidewall for comfortable driving. Now I have 225-60-15 front and 275-60-15 on a GEN II readend (they GEN I & II rears are 2" shorter the Gen 3+).

I feel the best place to start is with the beams. You'll get a solid 3" drop with them up front. The 2" springs vary between trucks, who made the springs and what motor you have.

The shackle flip, it'll clear just fine. I don't think anyone has had it hit the bed and al lot of people have asked that very question so don't feel bad. The shackle flip probably won't be enough to match the front drop if you go with beams though. You may want to think about going with coild up front or getting drop leaves or a flip kit for the rear.

I think the first pic has the 225-60's on the front and the second one has the 225-50.

James
have you only lowered your rear end with the shakle flip

irishblessing

so this is my truck and as it sits not you can notice the rear end sits higher than the front i was wondering if i did a shackle flip would i level it out where would my rear end sit?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Get a set of beams and a flip kit and you'll be level when you get done with that.

A shackle flip is SUPER cheap, relatively easy (got jack stands?) and is quickly reversible.

Save a few bucks, get some 1 1/2" long 3/8" grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts, washers, and spend a few hours doing the flip. You'll need to grind out drill out the rivets that hold your hangar to the frame, but it shouldn't take too long once you get the hang of the first few rivets.

Any questions?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals