• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did you lift your 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4?

Did you lift your 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4?

• Bought the Superlift kit

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Bought the Superlift kit & installed a body lift

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Bought torsion keys and cranked the torsion bars

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Bought torsion keys, cranked the torsion bars, and installed a body lift

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Cranked the torsion bars with the factory keys

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Cranked the torsion bars & installed a body lift

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Only installed a body lift

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

clarkbre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Since my Jan. 2nd post, the project has taken a slightly different route on wheels and tires. Sometimes I think things just happen for a reason. With the planned black steel "D" window wheels, I was a bit concerned about adding 9 lbs of rotational mass on each corner, the truck driving worse than stock and I didn't really want the "blacked out" look. They sold in a day and I was satisfied saving for new 31's and using the stock 15x7 wheels.

Cruising Facebook Marketplace, I found a great deal on a slightly used set of wheels and tires in the exact size needed:
Wheels: American Racing AR23 machined w/ clear coat fisnish 15x8, -19mm offset, 3.75" backspacing
Tires: Pro Comp Xtreme MT 2 31x10.50R15

They fit great and still have plenty of room for no rubbing. I love the new look of the Ranger!
Front Q.jpg

Rear Q.jpg

PXL_20240211_194154613.jpg

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Yep 31's are about all we can fit up in there.

How did you level the front end?

Those machined aluminum wheels look great. Ford always had some very nice looking factory options wheels, and dang if those don't look exactly like it. Small touches make the suddle difference....and make a big difference to us types. Hope you can get her in the mud soon and then toss a picture our way.

I totally rebuilt my front end just before raising the front up 1.75" with a coil over mod. It was easy to R&R all the front suspension, no special tools required. I sold off the T bars to someone here for the cost of shipping.
-Doug

clarkbre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yep 31's are about all we can fit up in there.

How did you level the front end?.....

......-Doug
Looking at all the clearances with the wider wheels, there is definitely room for 32x11.5's without rubbing issue. I'm still going to keep with the 31's for general driving.

The front on mine is leveled just by adjusting the stock torsion bolts/keys. They took 3 full turns on each side to bring the front up about 1.5". It isn't maxed out and there is still upward adjustment if needed/wanted. With corrected tire pressure on all 4 corners, the fender arches all sit perfectly at 36" off the ground. Couldn't get more level than that! To compensate for the raised front end, Rancho RS5000X extended length shocks were installed. Part #RS55374.

With the current setup, the truck rides great! Not being maxed out and with the longer shocks, there is still downward travel available in the front suspension.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Maybe I should toss my two cents of experience in here.

I just cranked my torsion bars, as I have a pre-2008 ranger. Why? A couple reasons. A- I wanted the truck to not be as canted forward, B- I am lazy and don’t have the time to install a proper lift, C- I am cheap and don’t want to spend the money on a proper lift, and D- I wanted to fit bigger tires.

The keys aren’t quite maxed out, but close. I can now comfortably fit 265/75R16 tires, which are basically 32”.

Someday, if I have the time and money, I’ll buy the superlift or rough country kit. Someday.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals