• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

diff question.

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give
ive aksed many questions on the same subject here is my last few.
1. how much of a improvement will i see over my open diff when i install my 7.5 ford trac lok l.s.d in my 7.5 axel.(in mud water puddles small hill climbs and maybe small short rock crawls.)
2.were can i find clutch pack rebuilds for this 7.5 trac lok?]
3.can i uses 8.8 clutch packs to rebulid my 7.5?
4. whats the litle bent peice of metal in the midle of my spiders on the 7.5 trac lok carrier.
keep in mind i have 2wd and im trying to make a decent offroad rig and a daily driver.
yes i know welding my open or getting a locker is best but i got a limited slip unit for 50 bucks so thats what im using. and just for informaitve info when i do pull my open diff i wil be welding it for future use when the track lok wears out or brakes.:icon_bounceblue:

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give
could some one please answer my questions

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It will make quite a bit of difference as long as you have both wheels on the ground. Don't know where to get the clutch packs from, try looking on the net.The 8.8 clutch plates are different to the 7.5, so no. The bent piece of metal between the spiders is called an S spring and is there to apply some initial pre-load to the clutch pack.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive aksed many questions on the same subject here is my last few.
1. how much of a improvement will i see over my open diff when i install my 7.5 ford trac lok l.s.d in my 7.5 axel.(in mud water puddles small hill climbs and maybe small short rock crawls.)

Alot. your going to see tons more traction, but dont forget to get tires to help you.

2.were can i find clutch pack rebuilds for this 7.5 trac lok?]/

Ford would be my guess.

3.can i uses 8.8 clutch packs to rebulid my 7.5?

Nope

4. whats the litle bent peice of metal in the midle of my spiders on the 7.5 trac lok carrier.

its a S spring that hold the spiders in place. taking them out is fun...

keep in mind i have 2wd and im trying to make a decent offroad rig and a daily driver.
yes i know welding my open or getting a locker is best but i got a limited slip unit for 50 bucks so thats what im using. and just for informaitve info when i do pull my open diff i wil be welding it for future use when the track lok wears out or brakes.:icon_bounceblue:
you should be able to change the carier as long as your not touching the pinion. color]

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I hated the longtrails on my truck when I bought it. I run General Grabber AT2s and its a world difference.

On the road, trac-lok carriers usually provide enough power to both wheels to prevent one from spinning like an open carrier. Get one tire on the gravel and the other on pavement and you can forget about both tires spinning. Not sure what "off-road" means to you, but I would look into an auto-locker over a limited slip diff. Get one tire dipped in the mud and the other still on hard pack surface or large rocks and you can bet only the tire in the mud will spin with a lsd.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
The trac-lok diffs only offer as much traction as the tire with the least grip. It relies on the rolling resistance of the tires to apply the clutches to engage both axles. if you were somehow able to provide a stiffer S-spring, you could potentially improve the results, but you will still be limited when compared to a full lock, hence the name.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals