• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distractions.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
In this modern world we exist in, with technology for our “convenance” when it comes to driving most tend to fill their ride with distractions or entertainment. The PoPo will extort you for using your phone while driving but manufacturers fill your ride full of everything from interactive maps to bluray players. Cruze control so you don’t need to watch your speed frees up time to watch the YouTube video recommended to you. No need to learn to orientate just use your “smart” device to get you where it thinks you wanna go. Siri said “arrived”. Walk the rest of the trip. I’m on an interstate freeway. WTF. When my son was like 7 he asked me. How do you always know where to go? Well it ain’t cuz seri said turn in 1 mile, 1/2 mile, 600 feet. It’s because I’m aware of my environment not my “smart device”.
It’s a crazy backward world we live in. I’m an analog man stuck in a digital brain dead world.
Lord save us from our stupid selves.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
All the apps and gadgets are because enough people want them.

Cruise control is nice for long trips but life won’t end without it. I drove out to LBL and other places in my 2011 without it and did just fine.

I do use a Garmen GPS for navigation but have road atlas’ on hand as a backup as well as a printed out map with turn directions of the trip.

I do use my phone to listen to pod casts on long trips but they are downloaded and I just let it play. There is no messing with the phone while driving and I refuse to answer the phone as well. Whatever a person is calling about can wait until a rest stop or I get to where I’m going.

Distracted driving is a big problem and even the truckers are doing it and weaving all over the dang road. Your primary task is to drive. If you must monkey with something pull over and take care of it instead of making yourself a hazard to yourself and everyone around you.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Touch screens shouldn't be allowed in vehicles, there should be no controls on a dash that can't be operated in the dark by feel. You have to look at a touch screen to use it because touching the same spot has different functions- climate, audio, etc.
Features like self braking just enable people who don't pay attention.
"Smart" phones are a big problem, too, and shouldn't fall under distracted driving which isn't a violation in NH. If playing with a phone causes an accident, it should be charged as negligent operation instead of being an accident, if someone is hurt it should be assault, not an accident, and if someone dies it should be manslaughter as a minimum. The driver made a conscious choice to play with his phone instaed of paying attention. Checking phone records should be part of any accident investigation. I would rather have a drunk driving toward me than someone texting, the drunk might at least be looking where he's going.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
People definitely get too wrapped up in tech. I’ve been around long enough to be suspicious of GPS. I’ve been forced to multi-task while driving (usually that means eating something and I learned how to do it driving a manual transmission dump truck). It’s definitely distracting even to do that. I’ll usually check my phone if a text comes and I can safely take a peek (like at a red light). If it requires a quick response that isn’t a shortcut of couple word answer, I’ll call. If you don’t answer and text me again, I will ignore my phone for the rest of my trip. Mind you, I prefer text. Just not while driving.

Cruise control is nice, but it’s use is really kinda limited. You’re not supposed to use it while towing and you’re really not supposed to use it in rain and snow because it has a potential to cause wrecks if you lose traction. Hydroplaning is indeed losing traction. Modern vehicles are usually a little safer about this with all the sensors and computers and stuff, but the problem is still there. My trucks that have cruise, I love it even if I rarely use it because my trucks that don’t have it, the couple times it could be useful and I don’t have it are annoying. Kinda like AC for me. I’d rather run with the windows down, but when they have to be up, like a summer thunderstorm and it‘s 85+* and about 200% humidity, AC is an absolute life saver.

I think most people are way too addicted to their phones. I use my devices a lot, don’t get me wrong, but there’s a time and place for everything and distracted driving isn’t it. I used to do a lot of driving and it isn’t just phones either. I’ve seen people reading reports or newspapers or shaving or putting on makeup and all sorts of other crazy things. You all are stupid doing that nonsense behind the wheel. And if another self important asshole hits me and totals another of my trucks, I swear I’m gonna want to beat them into the pavement.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If modern vehicles are like my 2019, operating things by feel is no longer a possible thing. The climate controls are so flush and close together, you are forced to focus on them in order to push the right button. Never mind the vehicles that have everything controlled by a touch screen.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I can wait to get self driving vehicles either :)

We are just in that transition phase

I always honk my horn now when light turns green, just a short toot, even if I am at the front of the line up, lol
Just happy for the green light..............................ya that's why, lol

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Here it used to be, if you were texting while driving, that's a violation. Then they changed it to get rid of the "I wasn't texting, I was looking at a map" excuse so, if you have your phone in your hand, that's a violation, period - calling, texting, checking its charge, anything. Personally I'm fine with it, got rid of a lot of people driving 90% attention on their phone 10% if that on driving.

Reminded me of when my cruise let go on my '86 Saab 900T, which I was used to using on some long trips - useful - I did fix it, some weird ball-chain arrangement, but in the meantime I'd just jam a stick against the throttle pedal and the seat. Worked pretty good on the flat, on a hill, just press it in a little, etc. Instead of 'drive by wire' it was 'drive by stick'. Gets old pretty fast though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals