• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does debris get in the timing cover?

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if stuff gets in the timing cover on a 2.3L

I had an 87 ranger with a 2.3L that I loved when I lived in the desert, and now that I am back in NJ I think I want another one.

out there they didn't have any mud. out here crossing some water and alot of mud is a normal occurance, and when you cross water there is usually stuff floating in it, I was wondering if the water, or combination of water and mud do damage the timing belt, and if so, how could you seal the timing cover?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldn't think that something large enough could get in but i could be wrong

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it is an old one where it just had a metal cover in place to keep your clothes from being caught in there I'd say yes- but a newer engine with rubber seals on a plastic cover I'd say no. If it was put in there by the factory it shouldn't catch any debris unless the belt is coming apart. Once it has been removed, those gasket seal thingys can get peeled off and then it could be compromised...

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
a newer engine with rubber seals on a plastic cover I'd say no. If it was put in there by the factory it shouldn't catch any debris unless the belt is coming apart. Once it has been removed, those gasket seal thingys can get peeled off and then it could be compromised...
there are seals on a plastic cover?

mine only had 2 rubber plugs on the front, but on the top there was like a 1/4 gap that can easily be pryed away from the engine and you can see almost the entire width of the top timing belt pulley, that is how I knew my belt needed to be changed when got the truck.

so where are the seals supposed to be, is there supposed to be a gasket between the timing cover and the cylinder head?

I am wondering if anyone has wheeled their 2.3L hard through mud holes and puddles, and if they had any problems with their timing belts because of it.

out in Vegas going through an occasionally muddy parking lot sideways didn't even get anything above the crankshaft pulley muddy, but there is real mud in Jersey

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there are no seals on the LIMA engine timing cover. I've also never personally had or heard of anyone who has had any issues with anything getting into the timing belt and causing issues. I've killed an alternator and an electric fan from the mud getting up there but the timing belt was fine. I also still can't get the mud out of the underhood heat pad...

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I also still can't get the mud out of the underhood heat pad...
HA!!!!! that's funny, my 2000 4.0L ranger had the same problem, my 87 didn't have the pad.

yeah the truck I had was a 1987 plain jane no frills no options 2wheel drive 5speed manual everything, metal ceiling, rubber floor, no A/C with a 2.3L EFI, and it was the best truck I ever owned, but it never saw any real offroading, just ripping down dirt roads, ripping through some dirt parkinglots after it rained, and some snow in the mountains.

basically I want to buy the same exact truck with 4 wheel drive to have out here in Jersey, but I want to research it to see if it will still be as good of a truck out here with some "real" driving conditions, and that was one of my only real concerns was the timing belt, I pretty much know how other things will react from other trucks I have put through hell and back.

thanks

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
there are no seals on the LIMA engine timing cover.
The older 2.3's with 'tin' covers had seals. The newer plastic ones do not.

I also still can't get the mud out of the underhood heat pad...
Yeah, I have the same problem with the wife's truck after this past years spring event. :mad: I was able to wash everything else off.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've power washed that thing so many times and every time I do more mud just keeps coming out of it.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Might want to ask JohnnyU, I know Ive seen pics of his rig up over the hood with his 2.3...

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Might want to ask JohnnyU, I know Ive seen pics of his rig up over the hood with his 2.3...
yeah, that is the kind of person I would like to ask, but I don't know who he is

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen the rubber strips on both the steel covers and some of the plastic ones. They are not really seals, They isolate the pieces from one another so that they don't rattle.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
My use of the word "seals" was being generous.

I'm not familiar with any plastic cover that used rubber strips from the factory. Any guess as to what year the one(s) you saw were?

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I've seen the rubber strips on both the steel covers and some of the plastic ones. They are not really seals, They isolate the pieces from one another so that they don't rattle.
My use of the word "seals" was being generous.

I'm not familiar with any plastic cover that used rubber strips from the factory. Any guess as to what year the one(s) you saw were?
I would guess it is something simaler to the stuff the slips over the edge of your doors so it protects the edges from scratches when you slam it into the H2 next to you in the Walmart parkinglot by accident

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Hey Mutant Pony,

I just checked out your myspace and photo bucket links.
I know this is off topic, but dude, what frame did you use for your pinto?
from what I can see it looks like a late model ranger, but I would think you would have had to shorten the frame.
I wanted to do something simaler a few years back with a T-top Mustang II, but I wanted to remove the tail gate and make the interior all rubber and water proof.
I didn't really think about it too much in depth because I didn't think it could be done with out seriously gutting the car and basically only using the shell on a CJ-5 frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals