• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Doh!

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I open up my hood today because my EGR valve has been giving me some problems and I notice that one of the hoses on the EGR tube blew off!!! And I'm like WTF!!! How does that happen?! Then I look at my battery and notice that my terminals are wicked corroded. So I take a ride down to the parts store and get some of those corrosion rings. Come home to try and put them on and my positive terminal connector snaps in half on me! So I go back to the store and get a terminal (By the way it is not an easy task to get the stock one off! Took me a hack saw, dikes, and two pairs of channel locks to pry it off without cutting the wire) I come back A:shout:nd put it on. Then I remember that my tail light is out and i've been to the store twice and forgot to get a bulb!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Might i suggest find everything wrong with your truck and then call it in to the parts store to tell them to get it ready and pick everything up quick. Thats what i do. I replaced the terminals on my truck in shop class a few years ago... I had terminals that were formed around the wires so i just stuck a pan below and melted it with a torch of course mine was also lead not brass or anything... But most wires are long enough to cut the old terminal off so i would use bolt cutters.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
haha, you need to sneak up on her so she doesnt break on ya

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That damn battery cable was so short there was no way I could have cut the wire. Oh, and I still don't have a brake light!!!!!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I've been through that before. The Fords are notourise for corriding battery cables. But just an anti-corrision pad and a drop of oil will go a very long way to prevent from happening. When I replaced mine, I replaced both terminals with Heavy Duty lead ones.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I always spray mine with Permatex post and clamp protectant.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
What the heck.... not that I'm complaining but I've never had a corroded terminal. What's the main cause of it?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What the heck.... not that I'm complaining but I've never had a corroded terminal. What's the main cause of it?
Cranking your engine.

It's not just a Ford thing. ANY vehicle does that, given enough time between brush-offs.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so for years i thought spraying the batt terminals with some type of "snake oil" was a good thing. Till i got back to school, and my electrical systems instructor "whom used to work for AC delco helping design the OBDII system" got a hold of me. When your battery is low, and the alternators at full output then things will get warm, what ever you put on the conections will eventualy end up BETWEEN the conections, making a less then perfict conection, this, in time will damage your batt. Juss clean them up, and if you must, pu the lill red and green pads under them. If your tail light still isnt working, pill it OUT and track down the ground wire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals