• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Doing Valve Covers Few Questions

RC2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
1) So today I started the arduous and daunting task of replacing these things. Electrical Connectors are brittle broke 1 keeper leg on three connectors including an alternator connector, main wire. Anyone think putting a thin coat of blue silicone around male connector would help ?
2) I was in such a mood to dive into this I did not degrease the motor. Do u degrease with all the electrical connectors plugged in or do you cover those with something? I got the alternator side mostly ready, realized that I would probably end up breaking more connectors on the injectors if I did not remove the throttle body, that is off now and I have a dishtowel covering up the intake area. I have nightmares of dropping a bolt down one of those holes. I did not take pictures and did not label anything eek what a mess of wires and vacuum tubes. I was hoping now to degrease after I get the new covers on.
3) Do you just reuse the upper intake gaskets? The old ones seem to be part of the engine now , like fuse into the darn thing.
4) How hard are the injectors to replace since I have this apart? The fuel rail etc etc seems like a job and a half.
5) Anyone got pics in case I can't figure out where stuff goes back?
6) On the air conditioning side do you have to remove the hoses? It looks like just getting the pump off maybe it could be swung out of the way.

Wish me luck. Any pointers appreciated. the hardest thing I did today was that stupid little nut on the back of the throttle body that holds a bracket for the air conditioning line. after removing I saw it was slotted.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Do not disconnect the ac lines. I would degreaee with everything connected but you are past that part so now, I would just wait till done.

RC2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I guess i took off more than the throttle body some kind of intake 3 gaskets need replaced they look tough to get off. Upper intake. The old gaskets look like they are stuck on really good. waiting on a haynes manual. just got this vehicle

Last edited:

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
All new gaskets needed, sorry, or you'll be chasing problems later. A razor scraper in one hand and shop vac in the other will help with the old gasket removal.

-Jazzer

RC2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
All new gaskets needed, sorry, or you'll be chasing problems later. A razor scraper in one hand and shop vac in the other will help with the old gasket removal.

-Jazzer
Shop vac. Thanks I was wondering how to keep the stuff from falling in. Awesome. I was poking around online and saw the razor thing already.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so…

Unfortunately breaking the clips on the plugs is common. Most plugs hold together pretty well without the clips and replacement plugs with pigtails are available for the most important ones. I would use a zip tie or wrap good electrical tape (like 3m super 33 tape) around the plug. Silicone may make the plug hard to get apart in the future.

Degreasing should be first or last step. I usually don’t bother but maybe someday. It’s not exactly a convenient thing for me to do with not having a garage.

I pretty much never label anything anymore but I’ve had these apart more than I’d like to. Most of the stuff only fits to one place.

I stuff clean shop rags into the holes while I’m working. Be careful using a scraper or razor blade on the intakes, you want to scrape off the gaskets but not gouge up the aluminum. Small scratches aren’t the end of the world, you just want to be a little cautious. Always use new gaskets. In a pinch I’ve put a film of RTV on the old gasket but always replace them when possible. A bad seal on the intake means a vacuum leak that can cause headaches.

I usually don’t worry too much about injectors, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to clean them. They are tightly secured with O rings. Takes a bit to pull them apart and the o rings should be replaced if separated. If you do pull the injectors, I think it’s sixtyfiveford on YouTube that has a good video on cleaning injectors.

I’m sure we can help figure out any issues.

Don’t remove an AC hoses. I want to say it can be done without moving the pump, but I have unbolted the pump and moved it out of the way.

RC2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so…

Unfortunately breaking the clips on the plugs is common. Most plugs hold together pretty well without the clips and replacement plugs with pigtails are available for the most important ones. I would use a zip tie or wrap good electrical tape (like 3m super 33 tape) around the plug. Silicone may make the plug hard to get apart in the future.

Degreasing should be first or last step. I usually don’t bother but maybe someday. It’s not exactly a convenient thing for me to do with not having a garage.

I pretty much never label anything anymore but I’ve had these apart more than I’d like to. Most of the stuff only fits to one place.

I stuff clean shop rags into the holes while I’m working. Be careful using a scraper or razor blade on the intakes, you want to scrape off the gaskets but not gouge up the aluminum. Small scratches aren’t the end of the world, you just want to be a little cautious. Always use new gaskets. In a pinch I’ve put a film of RTV on the old gasket but always replace them when possible. A bad seal on the intake means a vacuum leak that can cause headaches.

I usually don’t worry too much about injectors, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to clean them. They are tightly secured with O rings. Takes a bit to pull them apart and the o rings should be replaced if separated. If you do pull the injectors, I think it’s sixtyfiveford on YouTube that has a good video on cleaning injectors.

I’m sure we can help figure out any issues.

Don’t remove an AC hoses. I want to say it can be done without moving the pump, but I have unbolted the pump and moved it out of the way.
Thanks for the reply. The previous owner let the covers leak too long plus power steering line leak. cleaning was not an option. Motor will run cooler not covered in sludge. I replaced the injectors just because they looked original. 1989 was a long time ago. still not up and running replacing steering lines and fuel filter before I start it. Dang filter looks like a bear. tucked up inside a steel box. it has been neglected Throttle body needs cleaned, u- joints look dry, u name it. one thing at a time. I did not remove the ac after taking upper intake and fuel rail off things looked much brighter. i actually got an inch pound wrench on every bolt. permadry gaskets

RC2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Update vehicle is running super. Had a bit of shake in it before I think it was a miss and the new injectors fixed it power is awesome. I used Standard Motor Products injectors, was lucky to have original Ford injectors in the car still so they got matched up to the right ones. No more oil leaks Permadry Fel Pro seems to have done the trick I used Zero Sealant as they recommend and used an inch pound torque wrench. I went 1/3 then 2/3 then full torque worked my way inside to outside criss cross like a head torque. nary a drop of oil so far. yippie. Thanks for all the help !! I will be back. My kids want it restored, lifted, and a V8 fun fun fun

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals