• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door "Dome Light" and "Door Ajar" issues

beezee2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello!.. New member here. I own two Rangers, a '95 XLT and a 2000 XLT V-6. Both have door sensor issues. I;m attempting to deal with the '95 first. I've had it for 2 years, bought it used. From day-1 the dome light never would come on when the door was opened, nor would the door-ajar chime go off (the no-chime was just fine with me, but I really missed the dome light!) I finally tore into the driver's side door, and found that there were two plugs attached to the door latch, and one had been unplugged. I shorted that plug and found that the dome light came on. The other plug I'm guessing is the switch for the "Door Ajar" chime and panel light? It was still plugged in, but didn't seem to do anything. I modified the dome-light switch by installing a door-jamb switch instead of the internal latch switch. It works fine now. Today I opened up the passenger side door and found that there was only two wires which lead to one switch in the latch mechanism. I unplugged that one and tried shorting the wires, but nothing happened. Two questions:

1. Why are there only two wires on the passenger side?
2. And how do I trouble-shoot to fix it?

Thanks!

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Passenger side should only control dome light, not chime. You probably had the driver side open (so dome light was on)...

Check the plugs get power, keep tracing it back until you find the break.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I had similar issues when I first got my '96 on the road. The problem ended up being the sensor in the door, which I replaced. I also took pics, but they were difficult because of the confines of the door.
My dome light would stay on, my dinger would work and then it wouldn't, the door ajar light would come on or wouldn't ... It was a mess that just changing out the door sensor fixed.

beezee2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Passenger side should only control dome light, not chime. You probably had the driver side open (so dome light was on)...

Check the plugs get power, keep tracing it back until you find the break.
Thanks, Fritz!... I didn't realize that the second plug on the driver's side was the chime sensor... (who wants those anyway?!)

Last edited:

beezee2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had similar issues when I first got my '96 on the road. The problem ended up being the sensor in the door, which I replaced. I also took pics, but they were difficult because of the confines of the door.
My dome light would stay on, my dinger would work and then it wouldn't, the door ajar light would come on or wouldn't ... It was a mess that just changing out the door sensor fixed.
Hey, appreciate the reply! I couldn't figure out how to get the door-lock connector off of the latch mechanism, so I never even got to see what the switch looked like or how it was connected. My door-jamb switch mod will make it so I won't have to dismantle the whole door in the event of any future switch issues. Thanks again!

Last edited:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
94's only have 1 switch in the jamb that controls both on the driver side and just the light on the passenger side. From what you said you answered your own question, buddy...

I wanted nothing to do with my light/chime. Pulled the switch, and cut the thing off. Capped and sealed the wires and stuffed them back in. Redneck? Yeah... Care? Nope, because "ding-ding-ding-ding" isn't making me pull my hair out. I can always manually turn the dome light on.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
So, I can kill the switch in the door post and the chime will go away? Nothing els happens? Kewell The Rat's dings when I open the door even with the key out. Losing the dome light automatic on is worth it.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, I can kill the switch in the door post and the chime will go away? Nothing els happens? Kewell The Rat's dings when I open the door even with the key out. Losing the dome light automatic on is worth it.

look for the chime itself (little black box under dash around the ash tray) open it up and cut traces on circuit board for the speaker..

you have just removed the chimes vocal cords and dome light will still come on as before:yahoo:

beezee2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
94's only have 1 switch in the jamb that controls both on the driver side and just the light on the passenger side. From what you said you answered your own question, buddy...

I wanted nothing to do with my light/chime. Pulled the switch, and cut the thing off. Capped and sealed the wires and stuffed them back in. Redneck? Yeah... Care? Nope, because "ding-ding-ding-ding" isn't making me pull my hair out. I can always manually turn the dome light on.
:icon_thumby:
Thanks again, Fritz!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals