• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drag Truck - The Danger Ranger

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any reason for the c-clip eliminator?

Z
Some tracks require them if you are so fast on a C-Clip axle.

Otherwise if a shaft brakes you screw up the track and lose control.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update. Got my axle back this week. I can't remember what they said they took off, but it was either 3 5/8 or 3 7/16 so my measurements were close and that fraction of an inch won't make a difference with the length of the driveshaft anyway. Waiting on bearings to get in so I can measure up for custom axle shafts.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry for the length between posts, but it's been a "fun" few weeks. I ended up ordering the eliminator kit from Yukon minus the axle shafts while the housing was at the shop getting shortened. Once I got the axle housing back, installed the eliminator blocks to measure up specs to get custom axles cut by strange since a buddy is a dealer for them. They got back to him after a couple days and said they couldn't cut them because the bearing shoulder required is too big. I called strange and worked directly with Tucker as to why they couldn't cut me the axles and he worked out that they couldn't do them in alloy, but they could in the Hy-Tuf race axles, which is a track only axle. I want to be able to street the truck too so that wasn't going to work but I left the option on the table. They later called back and said they couldn't cut any axles for me in confidence since they had no template to work from. Tucker was awesome and did everything he could to help but it just didn't work out in the end.

Now I'm back at ground zero (this is about 2 weeks ago). I looked through my options and called up Moser to see how much they charge to cut and respline axles. It was 75 plus shipping. Ok fine. I was browsing through the forum and found Dutchman Motorsports as a recommended shop and looked them up. They only charge $55 and are located between me and Yukon so I would save on shipping. I clarified with Dutchman and Yukon that I could have them sent and shortened/respline and both concurred. Fast forward a week later, Dutchman gets the axles in and TJ gives me a call. Turns out on this particular axle they make the spline in such a way (roll on?) that the diameter of the spline is slightly larger than the shaft so shortening it wasn't going to happen. CRAP. I just can't win. I played phone tag back and forth with TJ for an afternoon and he hooked me up with a set of 4130 axles. They measured the Yukon axles so they could have all the correct dimensions and returned them for me. I called my local machine shop to confirm how much they cut off and they said 3.5", so that's what I requested be removed. Note that is slightly different than what I said in my previous post. They had to machine a little extra off the bearing shoulder and install a spacer so that the bearing would seal properly. I believe this is the issue strange was having initially. Anyway, a week after ordering I have a shiny new set of axles that fit wonderfully!

Test fit the axles and the shortened side is about 1/4" long and I attribute that to neither myself or the machinist remember how much we took off the housing. Now I just need to get the bearings pressed on and then the axle is ready for test fitting (still need to move spring perches). Yesterday I ordered ARP wheel studs, a Ford Racing Diff Cover, clutch pack, and new crush sleeve. I'll post small updates here and there but life is busy right now and I'm going to be moving right around new year's so the project will be on hold while I'm house buying and moving.

I'd like to thank TJ at Dutchman Motorsports for working with me through the process. He was more than helpful, always returned my calls even when I didn't leave a message, and provided customer service that makes a customer for life.

Lesson learned- people add the 9" housing ends for a reason. Everyone is familiar with them and it would have eliminated the headaches I encountered throughout the process. Pony up the little extra upfront and it will make your life much easier.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got back from a week at home for the holidays last night and figured I'd spend today finishing up the axle before I move next month. Turns out the side that was shortened was shortened a bit more than the shop told me....the axle shaft came out too long and hits the pinion shaft. Gonna have to send it back to get shortened and resplined.

Parking brake does not work with the ARP wheel studs. The elim kit retains it with lower profile hex heads where as ARP has the taller 12 spline heads or whatever you call them. Decided to take out the parking brake.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lucky me, Dutchman makes the splines extra long so I took it to the machine shop and they lathed 1/2" off the end and it fits exactly as it should now. Happy happy happy. Just in time to move.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Still working on getting settled at my new place but next weekend is a 4 day for us so I'm hoping to get the axle swap going. Finally sold the motor to a guy that had his burning oil so I'm happy to have gotten that off my hands. Also gave away a bunch of random interior parts to a guy that I was gonna throw away before the move. I kept some of the more valuable stuff like fuel pump and computer and those are still for sale.

Moving the truck was a bit of an adventure. I opted for a dolly because it was cheaper and I could load it myself. No way I could put it up on a car hauler myself. I couldn't get enough speed with one of the tires being flat so I ended up setting the ebrake and backing the trailer up under it. Worked like a charm. This is just a pic of it loaded up and hooked up to my 97 Ranger. It was a proud moment because it's never towed anything. 4 banger with a bumper ball and she did great pulling it around the block. I wouldn't want to go any more than that considering I was doubling the max tow rating. I did the 220 mile trip with an 18' Penske.

This is a pic 20 miles from my new place. I stopped to pee and out of habit did a walk around to make sure everything was good. I had no idea I had blown it and it was 100 miles from my previous stop. The rim is trashed now but I'm sure I'll find use for it around the garage. Luckily I had a spare and aired it up at the gas station and swapped it out. The tires seem to be pretty old and I was doing 65-70 so I'm really not surprised it blew.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I towed a 3000 pound trailer from California to Oklahoma on the bumper ball. Have no idea if I exceeded any limits or not, it made it easily. Of course, mine's a 3.0 V-6 automatic. I just kept the OD off on anything but totally flat ground and going downhill. Made sure the weight was proper on the ball as well.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's how she sits as of last weekend. Removed the bed, exhaust, and rear axle and mocked up the 8.8. Need to transfer the shock mounts and spring perches over from the old axle as these are different designs and sizes. Next weekend I'm hoping to have some exciting news for you guys as to where the project is heading.

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm excited to finally announce the plans for the build since I now have the parts. Last night I took delivery of a 2014 F150 with a coyote and 6R80. Copart find and it is a run and drive with 100k miles so everything is mechanically sound. The ranger will be getting a drive train swap along with the instrument cluster. Everything else will be parted out to recoup some of the cost. First step is to find out what I can unplug without pissing off the computer and putting it into safe mode. I will post the findings of that as I get them. Future plans for the build are to first get it working N/A. After that at some point I would like to turbo it and shoot for ~600hp on a safe turbo tune with stock internals. After that it will be money and time driven. I may as an in between step cave in and slap some happy gas on it. We'll see. But like I said, first step is to just get it running. Why was it totaled? I don't know but my guess is bent frame.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So how much is a totaled 2014 f150 worth? From an auction?

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This one sold for 4.7k because it is in relatively good shape. I watched a run and drive one that had the front smashed in go for 3.2k a couple weeks ago. That is before the copart fees.....

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Progress for today. Ripped apart the dash so I can easily access all the harness connectors and start doing my testing. Let me tell you- These trucks are built way better than they used to be. The Ranger was cake to take apart. This...pain in the ass. I did my due diligence and tried to take off everything without breaking stuff so I could resell it. I eventually got to the main dash piece and it is screwed in to not only the steel dash structure, but also the duct work for the defrost. And of course this is stuff you can't access unless you pull the entire metal framework out. I eventually caved in and just took the dremel to it. I doubt anyone will want the full big dash plastic anyway.... Here's how it sits when I called it a day. I'm at the point where I need to discharge the AC lines to disconnect them from the box in the cab. The local Sears Auto Center said they'd do it for free so I'll be making a trip sometime this week to get that done.

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I like where this is going!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals