• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

driveshaft angle techs!!!!what to do?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ive got a 2 piece custom driveshaft setup im trying to finish up on this ranger of mine. they wouldnt make me a one piece as it was too long to take the rpms. so they told me. so they made me this. now im trying to get all the angles right before i weld the carrier mount for sure. ive just got it tacked in right now, but i have the 1st shaft at 1.5 deg down from the transfer, and at the carrier bearing i have 8 deg angle, and at the rear i have 6 degrees angle. also the rear is offset slightly from the transfer centerline. (maybe a degree). should i come out of the transfer straight with the first shaft or should i mount the carrier bearing mount directly in line with the 2 ends? heres a pic to kinda see what i have going on. im thinking i should drop the carrier a bit, but am not sure,. according to spicer, the first shaft shouldnt be more than 1.5 degrees down from the transfer.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i've been under the impression that the front half should be parallel to the output on two-pieces. That's weird they said they couldn't do a one piece. I have a supercab with an around 6 foot one piece.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well ive already chucked a one piece one out of it so i guess they may be right. and yeah its 67 inches on mine. btw, its a 331 stroker with an AOD/dana 20. this should be strong as hell once i get this thing alligned where it wont vibrate or wear u joints.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i went ahead and dropped the mount about an inch. now ive got a 4 deg at the transfer,a 2 deg at the middle,and a 2 degree at the rear. i dont know if thats any better but it looks a hell of lot better and gets them all down to a minimal angle. i dont see any way to really cancel the angles totally out so i dont know whats gonna really work. at least now i can shim the middle up if need be. i cant reall find any resources on this at all other than just a single shaft so jump in if you know anything.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I don't know much about two-piece units but I do know that you want the angle coming out of the tranny (or I suppose the middle joint in your case) the same as the angle at the pinion.
Swapping in a 98+ one-piece is common and in the tech library here I think.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well thats the angle i have got as it sits now. it just has 4 deg in the front to do it. oh and again, ive already threw out a one piece, and i mean threw. broke both yokes,and broke the trans off the motor and broke the pump housing in the tranny.plus ,im using this for sure now that ive got 400 bucks in it

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Broken yokes is likely from an axlewrap problem (broke the rear first, then the rest of it broke from the shaft flinging around against everything). You might want to put some traction bars on it so the same thing can't happen to the new shaft.

As for the angles... good luck.
I played around with a two-piece forever and never could get it to not vibrate at all. You may have to live with a little bit of vibration if the truck is lifted.
IIRC, the vibration was least with the carrier bearing about an inch lowered from stock.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
no axlewrap...i was going 70 mph.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
screw it, just talked to dana/spicer. im very damn close right now. just gotta shim up the carrier 1 degree and should be good to roll

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
no axlewrap...i was going 70 mph.
Still could be that you damaged the yoke on a launch (but it didn't completely break), then it finally spit out later on as it fatigues the rest of the way.

Good luck on it.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
naw, i hadnt even launched it at all. only had it running a week. pretty mild driving,until i got going that fast. then there was a sound ill never forget...lol

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well got er done a couple weeks ago. no vibration at ALL. smooth as silk. at least that went right. now i know all i didnt ever want to know about driveshafts

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Glad it worked out :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals