• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dropped Pitman Arms

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
That's not leverage on the gearbox. It's leverage on the mounting bolts.
call it what you want but thats the downside of a dropped arm.although i don't know if a super runner steering would reduce the leverage that much especially with big tires and curbs involved

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, the Superrunner (K-link) puts MUCH less leverage on the box (the forces are split between the pitman arm and the centerlink's idler arm).

I also agree, the added leverage is the downside of dropped pitman arms. Most also reduce the steering ratio due to being longer as well (which makes the power steering work harder to turn that longer lever).

Any time you put more force on the steering box, it transfers right into the mounting bolts too.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
My dropped pitman arm also makes the the frame horn twist pretty good when you turn the tires, just havn't gotten around to building a brace for it yet.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i had the mega drop arm on a 6" skycracker lifted POS 88 ranger.it was a little scary looking at the frame rail on that used up truck when the wheel turned.it got me into rbv's but was a scary drive with no sway bars.my current rig has a slight amount of movement and the frames been bent before so i built this-

the steering box has a flat side towards the front and shaped just right on the back for a u-bolt.i used a big exhaust u-bolt and would have used two or a bigger one if i did it again but it hasent slipped any so i guess its fine.i bolted the 1/4" tabs to the truck and then cut a pipe to length,hammered the ends closed and tack welded it for fit.if you think about it though the bottom of the frame is held in place pretty well and doesn't move a whole lot its the top that goes in and out.since the crank pulley is in the way its a little harder to brace across the top.my trucks no prerunner even though i drive it that way sometimes so i guess it will be fine.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
That's not leverage on the gearbox. It's leverage on the mounting bolts.
The bolts dont fail the frame fails.

So use bigger mounting bolts and reinforce the frame.... IF it's really a problem. I have a very hard time believing that it's anywhere near as bad as you say -- most drops less than double the distance, so those bolts would have to be marginal in stock form. Or your buddy spun his truck out and whanged a curb.
After having the bolts tear throught the frame I have reinforced the frame with 3/8" plate. Also my pitman arm is longer then most. This is due to running my soft XJ coils and needing the steering links dead nuts level. Also I have had some major impacts with logs, rocks, ect.:D

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, the Superrunner (K-link) puts MUCH less leverage on the box (the forces are split between the pitman arm and the centerlink's idler arm).

I also agree, the added leverage is the downside of dropped pitman arms. Most also reduce the steering ratio due to being longer as well (which makes the power steering work harder to turn that longer lever).

Any time you put more force on the steering box, it transfers right into the mounting bolts too.
First off, I wanna say I have alot of respect for you junkie, i'm not trying to call you down/out. whateve'

but, whether we look at the bolts or the steering box, or the pitman arm. all they are doing is transmitting the force. they all see the same force. the steering system does is transmit force from the rigid frame to the tires. the frame sees the force too, but hopefully something else will fail before it. the tires see the force to, therefore they move. statics and dynamics.

I don't know how think the superrunner system puts less force on the box by including an idler arm. The very nature of the name "idler arm" means no load. only guidance, think of an idler pully on a belt, it sees belt tension, but that is not a load in that system, if the bearing is seized on the idler THEN it is introducing a load to that system. the idler arm is free to move where-ever and whenever it is acted upon.

anywho, just my 0.02

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
First off, I wanna say I have alot of respect for you junkie, i'm not trying to call you down/out. whateve'

but, whether we look at the bolts or the steering box, or the pitman arm. all they are doing is transmitting the force. they all see the same force. the steering system does is transmit force from the rigid frame to the tires. the frame sees the force too, but hopefully something else will fail before it. the tires see the force to, therefore they move. statics and dynamics.

I don't know how think the superrunner system puts less force on the box by including an idler arm. The very nature of the name "idler arm" means no load. only guidance, think of an idler pully on a belt, it sees belt tension, but that is not a load in that system, if the bearing is seized on the idler THEN it is introducing a load to that system. the idler arm is free to move where-ever and whenever it is acted upon.

anywho, just my 0.02
You probably aren't realizing there is a vertical distance between where the centerlink mounts to the idler & pitman arms, and where the tierods are attached to the centerlink (especially after modification of the centerlink to drop it down more).
If the tierods were mounted on the same plane as the pitman arm TRE, then your statement would be true, but that's not the case here.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After putting some more thought into it I have come to the conclusion that the superrunner setup does help in sharing the vertical load on the steering box. (when looking at the front of the truck) The horizontal loading on the steering box and frame remain the same.

Do you agree? Are we talking about the same thing? lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, sortof...

Looking back through the post here, seems there's been a lot of confusion about the pitman arms and leverage.
Where the confusion came from I'm not sure... reaally long drop arms DO put a much bigger bending moment on the sector shaft (and consequently, the box and mounting bolts). How this isn't obvious here I can't figure out. :icon_confused:

What the Superrunner kit (or K-link) does is greatly reduce the amount of bending force from using such a huge drop pitman arm. If the K-link is made to use the stock pitman arm (or a normal drop arm, as in the case of the Superlift kit), the moment on the sector shaft (along with the effective overall steering ratio) is basically the same as when using the same arm by itself. The centerlink then converts that extra leverage into a much less destructive vertical force placed on both the idlerarm and pitman arm.

Hopefully I'm explaining it right... :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals