• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drum brakes to Disk brakes

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
I have a 86 Ranger and was wondering if I could get some Disk brakes in the back. I saw the post before this one but I didn't know if I could do the same with a 86 Explorer and a 86 Ranger.

Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMO it would be easier and more straightforward to just get a 95+ Explorer axle to start with than to convert one that came with drums.

For your '86 you will either need a driveshaft out of a newer (90+) truck with your same bed/cab configuration if you have an automatic, depending on transmission lengths you may be out of luck with a stick other than the M5OD.

Another option (the route I took) is the drill and tap the smaller boltpattern onto the flange. I had it off to replace the seal anyway and just ran it down to the machine shop and had them do it. Removing the flange requires resetting the preload on the pinion bearing, if you don't know how to do that you will need to find somebody that does.

A custom driveshaft is always an option too.

This way you get a much stronger more popular axle that is easier to find goodies for down the road, and the disk brakes that you want. FWI, when you grab the axle, it is a great time to grab the springs too to eliminate the typical Ranger lean.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Couple things.............

I have a 86 Ranger and was wondering if I could get some Disk brakes in the back. I saw the post before this one but I didn't know if I could do the same with a 86 Explorer and a 86 Ranger.
Thanks
============================================
The first year for the Explorer was 92......

Since you have 7.5 rearend, BOMK, you would have to get the disc brake brackets, calipers, & rotors from a 94 up Mustang, as they are 5 lug & 7.5 rearends.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
============================================
The first year for the Explorer was 92......

Since you have 7.5 rearend, BOMK, you would have to get the disc brake brackets, calipers, & rotors from a 94 up Mustang, as they are 5 lug & 7.5 rearends.
First year for the explorer was 91. Some small bearing stuff from an 8.8 might also work.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorer 8.8 axle swap is easier, and takes less time.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know there are a couple here at site that say doing the rear disc's is just not worth it if you have a normal stance Ranger. Emergency stops unloads the rear so that very little braking actually happens back there. Several admitted they do it for the looks. If you tracked your truck, that would be different.
Dave

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know there are a couple here at site that say doing the rear disc's is just not worth it if you have a normal stance Ranger. Emergency stops unloads the rear so that very little braking actually happens back there. Several admitted they do it for the looks. If you tracked your truck, that would be different.
Dave
If you have the proper master cylinder rear disks would work correctly. When I researched before doing my swap alot of members said the pedal was softer but they maintained the stock ranger master cylinder. I did this for a day and did not like it. So I swapped in the explorer MC that is proportioned for 4 wheel disk. Made the pedal response correct, now I can lock up my 37's if I stand on the brake.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do rangers have residual pressure check valves? If so that would need to go before using dics brakes in rear, otherwise they will drag.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals