• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DTC code 28

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It`s a 91 Ranger and computer with a 96 motor.
The haynes book I have doesn`t even show code 28, so what is the IDM- ignition diagnostic monitor, and how can I stop the code.
I got a bunch of codes fixed,but need a little help with this one. Don`t have a clue.
I`ve changed both coils out.
Any help appreciated, I would really like to get this thing running in a closed loop.

Thanks

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the tech library of this site it has a list of computer codes. It list 28 as vat. vane air temperature sensor.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
28 Vane Air Temperature (VAT) sensor out of range - VAT
2.3L w/Electronic Ignition - Cyl ID, IDM low or right coil pack failure - Ignition Systems

And the line below that? How does IDM get low? Cause I`ve swapped out Coils and Spark plug wires with no success

Last edited:

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
From what I`ve read Tach and IDM are on pin 2 of the EDIS6 which I am guessing is an ICM. It looks different than mine. Mine has a harness connector Top and bottom EDIS6 illustration I saw only 1.
Starting to make sense because Tach stopped working awhile back, I guess I`ll try to trace down My Tach wire anyone Know the color code for the Tach on a 91??

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thought I would update ICM tested bad waiting for 1 from ebay.

I found SPOUT connector, I need to put a timing light on it because I did a crankshaft sensor mod on this motor. OK I was looking at wires near the air cleaner and I notice what looks like a SPOUT connector right below the Self Test connectors. Can anyone tell what this is??

I update again after ICM arrives:icon_welder:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
91 ranger with 96 motor... so you used the crank sensor from the 91 and just modified the 96 block to accept it? Or are you trying to use the 96 sensors with the 91 computer?

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I mounted the 91 sensor to 96 block and changed the pulley from the 91. It ran good until i blew the head gasket and it sat up for awhile.
Igot a bunch of codes when I first got it running. Worked thru em all then started getting 28 (IDM loss) and 33(EGR) got EGR to go away and blocked it off with Sheet Metal.
Thought it was ICM(since it tested bad) Got it yesterday,Ran good,,, no OK at first then started backfiring and wouldn`t run.
I`m going to try to get it started today and check it with a timing light with SPOUT unplugged.
I am starting to think CKP(crankshaft position sensor) has gone bad too.
Any help or suggestions appreciated:bawling:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
That code sounds like either the CKP is bad, the new coil pack is bad, or you've got a problem with the wiring somewhere in between. I know that's kind of a vague answer, but sounds like you're on the right track. I'd start with checking the wiring and all connections at the ICM and coil pack and grounds. Also check that the crank sensor is sending a signal with a multimeter. I don't know what kind of voltage it's supposed to return, but I'd asume you should see it send some voltage back in correlation with the rotation of the crank, if that makes sense.

Another guy had a problem with his ignition system on here recently, turned out to be a wire pulled part way out of one of the connectors at the coil pack.

also the 91 ignition system is DIS not EDIS.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks
Yea I know it is DIS, Just never found a picture or wiring Diagram.
I was hoping the new ICM would get my tach working again,but no such luck.

jrubot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
OK did KOEO and got 14 and 28
It is very hard to get started and had NO luck getting it started with SPOUT disconnected.
Guess I`ll try starting with 1 coil disconnected at a time see if 1 is bad and try to backprobe my CKP next:icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals