• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DuraSparkII Wiring

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

I'm wiring in a 2.3L with Duraspark into my 99 3.0L chassy. My Chiltons manual shows a ballast resistor in the run wire from the ignition. My plan was to hook this to the run wire going to the coil pack on the 3.0L. How important is this ballast resistor? I bought a chiltons manual for the 99 Ranger but I feel I got hosed on that book as it dont have half the wiring diagrams needed. In fact it dont have any of the wiring diagrams I need for my project. I wanted the wiring for the speedometer, neutral safty switch, and dash, plus it would have been nice to know ALL the computer pins and it lacks all that. I think I added more wire info to the book tearing apart the engine harness than the book had when I started.
So do I need the resistor?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you use a internally resisted coil the resistor is not required. Any square TFI coil will work just fine with the duraspark ignition. Your ignition switch is not set up for that type diagram. If your coil requires a resistor hook it up without the start bypass and see how well it starts. If it has issues on cold starts you can use a diode to boost coil voltage and when you let off the key it goes back to resisted voltage to the coil. Just run a wire from the start solenoid ignition wire to coil pos with a diode in line. It allows battery voltage to the coil in start and the blocks ignition wire voltage from going back to the solenoid when you let off the key

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info, I'll just dump the round coil for a square one as I'm sure I have one laying around here somewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals