• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dynamat. Is it worth it?

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Would dynamat on just my doors help my cause for sound quality?

Has anyone successfully done dynamat on thier RBV?

I would love to do this, But im not sure it if would help all that much.

Comments appreciated. :icon_thumby:

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it will help alot *if* installed correctly. Dynamat is good for stopping rattles but won't do much for sound quality by just slapping it on the panel.

What you want to do is get a couple rolls of thick sturdy duct tape. Using the duct tape tightly cover all the openings in the door. What you want to do is create as close to a sealed enclosure as possible. Once you have all the holes taped up firmly (usually a couple layers will do it) then install the dynamat over the whole door. Install it over the metal as well as all the holes in the door you sealed with duct tape. You will need a heat gun and a roller to make it conform to all the curves etc... If you have power windows etc...just fish the harness out through the dynamat layers or by making a little slit in the dynamat and then resealing it.

From here reassemble everything making sure that your speaker is mounted evenly on all sides, a speaker with a plastic basket (most of them) will deform quite easily and not sound right. You can do a quick test to make sure it's mounted evenly by gently pushing the speaker in with your finger, the surround should flex evenly all the way around the speaker. If the surround has wrinkles etc...then you need to readjust some of the screws holding the speaker in, do this BY HAND with a screwdriver, it's the only way as a drill goes way to fast. Once you have everything setup perfectly run a small bead of silicone or caulk around the basket where it meets the door and smooth it out with your finger.

After all this you should have a semi sealed door and enjoy a big increase in bass response. Good luck!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dynomat also helps to insulate against outside sounds as well, which also helps you hear your music WAY better. Instead of hearing road noise and the tires and stuff you hear nothing... I need to do it to my truck pretty soon but I am going to do the whole truck. (doors, pillers, floor, fire wall, rear wall, and roof.)

There are other companies too besides dynomat, They all claim they are the best but they are all basically the same thing... Why spend 300 bucks for 20 sq ft of Dynomat when you can get 100 sq feet of fatmat for the same price and it does the same thing....

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i went to ebay and got a knock-off brand called Rattletrap. less expensive, but the specs matched up well to the Dynamat. have done behind the seat and most of the roof as my truck had no headliner. not finished, but have noticed it is quieter already. i'll be covering it all with carpeting in the next couple of weeks... i hope.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's the heavy asphault stuff it works. It's meant to stick on hard, flat areas to absorb sound and keep it from reflecting back on you.

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it's the heavy asphault stuff it works. It's meant to stick on hard, flat areas to absorb sound and keep it from reflecting back on you.
it has nothing to do with "absorption" or "reflection" fyi. a common misconception. Sound Dampening works by mass loading the sheet metal you place it upon. that is all it does! makes it heavier more dense causing less vibration and annoying road noise. i have over 200 sq ft of secondskin Damplifier pro in my ranger and it is amazing how quite it is.

Also op you will find that most "knock off" brands like fatmat mentiones above have a much thinner foil and adhesive compound. i did a door to door comparison of the second skin damp pro and fatmat and found one layer of second skin was equal to 3 layers of fatmat. now where are you saving money anywhere? furthermore you can go out and just buy peel and seal from homedepot or lowes and basically be purchasing the lower line of dynamat fatmat raamat etc. You want a sound deadning material with a butyl adhesive, not asphalt as so it does not peel off over time.

op you can pm me if you need any help installing it etc.

-Don
:icon_hornsup:

jlucas2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Quick Roof!? Might be the answer!

I personally could not justify paying the high price for Dynamat! I work in the automotive industry and have the luck of meeting many custom audio professionals. I inquired about an inexpensive way of sound damping my Ranger? I was lead to a product that only Home Depot carries (to the best of my knowledge). The product is called Quick Roof! It works great and is really cheap! Do be careful though I almost made the mistake of buying the product that Lowes offers, that appears to be the same, but it not none toxic!!!! Quick Roof is none toxic, I have had it in my truck for about a year now and love it! Best of luck! :headbang:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally could not justify paying the high price for Dynamat! I work in the automotive industry and have the luck of meeting many custom audio professionals. I inquired about an inexpensive way of sound damping my Ranger? I was lead to a product that only Home Depot carries (to the best of my knowledge). The product is called Quick Roof! It works great and is really cheap! Do be careful though I almost made the mistake of buying the product that Lowes offers, that appears to be the same, but it not none toxic!!!! Quick Roof is none toxic, I have had it in my truck for about a year now and love it! Best of luck! :headbang:
you mean this stuff? http://www.amazon.com/COFAIR-PRODUCTS-INC-QR616-QUICK/dp/B000BRFW3W

jlucas2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Yep that is the stuff! :icon_thumby: It is almost the same price at Home Depot LOL

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Back when I was a kid we used to use regular old undercoating. The thick gooey brush on kind. Deadend the noise, and had the added benifit of rust-proofing. The biggest drawback was the smell. It stunk like tar for a few weeks, oh and also the added weight. Did a 67 Mustang once, probably aded 100 punds to the sucker.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt notice it killing outside noise as much as I noticed it greatly helped the bass response in my 6x8's. The bass was SO much more crisp and accurate. Great product for audiophiles.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I would dynomat the doors or use some similar to it, I wouldn't necessarily go crazy with duct tape to make them air tight because the lower vent, and the clip mounts for the doors make it impossible to seal it up right anyway. Really easy to put on especially with a heat gun.

The Bandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another similair product is called "Sunsheild" and is sold at hardware stores. Same matireal as Dynamat or Fatmat. I think its $150 for 100 square feet or so locally.

HRTKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used Stinger Roadkill on the front doors, back floor and back of the cab of my Nissan Titan. It made a difference. Enough that even an old fart like me could tell. I ran out of time and energy and had a local stereo shop put Dynamat on the back doors. Either the Dynamat stuff is inferior to Stinger Roadkill or the stereo shop did a lousy job on the install because using my highly technical and repeatable door slam test my front doors are dampened a lot more than the back doors.

I really hope that Dynamat isn't inferior as I just ordered two bulk packs of it for my Ranger. I suspect that due to my anal-ness I managed to put a lot more material on the front doors than was put on the back doors by the stereo shop.

I decided to not go with Stinger Roadkill for the Ranger because the quality between two boxes of Stinger was bad. The second box was difficult to install as the backing paper didn't like to come off. I didn't use a heat gun. Instead I laid the panels on the driveway in the sun to heat them up. That worked pretty good. Be sure you get a roller. Also get aluminum backed tape to seal the edges. I get mine from Walmart - much cheaper. Don't forget to clean the surface real well first - especially the vertical surfaces.

Oh, I also used a full can of Great Stuff (minimal expansion) and a half can of the regular to fill in the body cavities. That had to help some. I plan to use two cans of it on my Ranger. Be careful though with the Great Stuff. It can expand more than the body can take. I use the regular stuff for the bigger cavities.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I used a similar product that I found at a hardware store. I had not read that it would do the same thing as Dynamat, but it it ended up working great in the care I used it in. I had 2 sealed 12" subs in the hatch/trunk and it rattled the license plate quite a bit before I put this stuff on, after applying the material it made a world of difference. The license plates didnt rattle, and it felt like the bass was kept inside the the car instead of being released outside. I can't stand seeing people with subs and their trunks n shit rattling. Its white trash, and it is so easy and cheap to do it the right way.:icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals