• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E fan identification help.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Ok so my brother in law had over heard me wanting to do an efan swap and since I helped him with his truck and he has a childhood friend who now owns a junkyard he tried helping me out by gifting me a fan but they didn't have any taurus carcasses except for a 96. He got one free and said if I need something else maybe he can get something else.

Only problem is we have no idea what he grabbed can you guys help identify it? It has 2 blue wires and one black both blue run it at the same time.
it has pa66 marked on it otherwise I can't seem to find any other distinction or part number.

Any ideas? What would I be looking for in wiring since it looks like it might accept pwm or would one fan speed be enough to cool a 4 banger? Just weighing options before I go just jumping in. I really do wanna get it done because the heat here is bad.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PA66 is a generic Ford fan number I believe.

Black wire is the ground.
One blue should be low speed and the other high speed, but usually there is a blue and brown wire for the two speeds and black as ground

No, wouldn't use pulse width modulation(PWM)
On older models, with 2 motor wires they used a relay with a resistor on one leg, to get low and high, resistor is now in the motor.
Similar to the way the Blower fan works using 3 resistor

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
PA66 is a generic Ford fan number I believe.

Black wire is the ground.
One blue should be low speed and the other high speed, but usually there is a blue and brown wire for the two speeds and black as ground

No, wouldn't use pulse width modulation(PWM)
On older models, with 2 motor wires they used a relay with a resistor on one leg, to get low and high, resistor is now in the motor.
Similar to the way the Blower fan works using 3 resistor
I've tried both and it runs the same speed regardless. So don't think it's internally controlled.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then that is odd.

Even if Ford wanted to add AC on for fan why do it at the fan motor, easier to just add it to temp relay.

So not sure whats up with that.

EDIT:
Found another thread where they said one Blue wire was for Temp on/off, the other Blue wire was for AC on/off

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Then that is odd.

Even if Ford wanted to add AC on for fan why do it at the fan motor, easier to just add it to temp relay.

So not sure whats up with that.

EDIT:
Found another thread where they said one Blue wire was for Temp on/off, the other Blue wire was for AC on/off
That's kind of what I figured, I wonder if this would be enough to cool on a hot day. I'm sure it would do better parked than the mechanical fan but don't know by how much. Hmm

Link to that thread?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just Googled :radiator fan 2 blue wires

Found this one: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/elec-rad-fan-motor-3-wires-178964.html

My opinion is that low speed on rad fan is just for less noise, so more for customer than cooling, lol, hey nothing wrong with a good paint job even if it doesn't make the vehicle run better

As long as you get the fan shroud sealed so the whole rad gets air pulled thru it, it will work on hot days and climbing long grades

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Just Googled :radiator fan 2 blue wires

Found this one: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/elec-rad-fan-motor-3-wires-178964.html

My opinion is that low speed on rad fan is just for less noise, so more for customer than cooling, lol, hey nothing wrong with a good paint job even if it doesn't make the vehicle run better

As long as you get the fan shroud sealed so the whole rad gets air pulled thru it, it will work on hot days and climbing long grades
Yea I saw that same thread too and one on explorer forums too I think. I'm guessing one is for temp probe the other for ac. Any advice on wiring was thinking of getting a controller with temp probe adjustable so I can tweak it. But also rigging it to run on ac on (basically around here it would run all the time since ac is on 90% of the year) is that a bad idea? Should I stick to temp only?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the adjustable temp kit with relay is good.

Since you have the second wire you could just add a relay that is closed when compressor gets power, so AC on = Fan on

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yes the adjustable temp kit with relay is good.

Since you have the second wire you could just add a relay that is closed when compressor gets power, so AC on = Fan on
My concern is that the ac runs pretty much anytime the vehicle is on. But I'll probably do that anyways. That's one of the main reasons I wanted the fan in the first place ac while idling is terrible lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals