• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Drills Brand Preference

Who do you think offers the most reliable & affordable corded electric drill?

• Black & Decker

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 54 41.9%

• Total voters

bluebikerboy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
i got (cordless) 2 black n deckers, a drill master, a couple skills. all work for me. my corded is a knockoff brand that worked great till the trigger started acting wierd. still works but its tricky.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One word Milwaukee, I'll save up if i have to but after what i have put my cordless tool kit (impact, sawzall, drill, etc) through, I'll never buy a different brand.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a skill 3/8 hammer drill that I bought about thirty years ago. I have replaced the stator once and also the chuck but otherwise it has been a good tool. The biggest complaint I have with portable drills is that they have no torque at lower speeds and if you are drilling large holes in steel or even wood, you need to run the thing at fairly slow speeds if you want the bits to survive. I wish the places that sell tools would allow you to try them before you buy them. I've used many different drills belonging to friends etc. and arrived at the conclusion that most of the drills sold today are rubbish. I've not tried a milwalkee, don't see them often around here.

polkat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford r
Engine Size
4.o
Transmission
Automatic
I work for a construction company and I do all the purchasing for equipment ect. for a corded drill hands down Milwaukee is the best. BUT< the market is has changed us to go mobile and FAST! so I noticed that we really dont "drill holes" we "screw :shok: run self tap screws and use paddle bits, tighten nuts, run lag bolts ect ect ect . I converted to cordless 1/4 impacts and that is a whole different ballpark and hands down makita is top. If it were me I would think about what you are going to do with a drill but, once you have a good cordless impact you probally will never pick up that drill unless your wife is baking again :icon_rofl:

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
I got my Dewalt drill and sawzall in one of those combo kits. Been very impressed considering they're not the XRP model, and they only cost me $200. That's also with 2 batteries and a charger. My friend has a lot of tools and they are Makita and Dewalt. Couple Milwakee's in there too.

Edit: My dad had a pretty nice Craftsman drill, the charger crapped the bed and one of the batteries burnt out. Now that they have the new style batteries, the older chargers and batteries can not be found anywhere.

Last edited:

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
18v snapon cordless and 18v snapon cordless 1/2 inch impact 14.4v snapon cordless 3/8 impact

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I do have both a cordless 18v Dewalt hammer drill and regular drill and they take a beating. For the most part I have used alot of cordless Craftsman tools mostly because I found an auction house that sells store returns online at really cheap prices. One of their 18v reciprocating saws lasted me about 2 years but it was subjected to heavy use and lots of metal shavings. Since you can buy two of them used for around $50 shipped I could care less. Their battery impact guns aren't the very best in the world when compared to what Snap On and IR have to offer but you get more than you pay for with them and seldom do I have to break out the air gun or breaker bar while using one. Like AllanD said though Craftsman sucks for getting parts for your tools. They seem to "forget" about the fact that their battery impact guns have trigger switches and therefore do not stock the one part that seems to wear the most. Now Craftsman drills on the other hand I have smoked one of them in the past but I was using it as a "electric starter" for a 6hp go kart motor when this happened.

Ranger-92XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
I like Milwaukee, but you would all be surprised by Craftsman "Professional" tools - got one of these "professional" drills couple of years back and I REALLY like it - affordable, good quality, and very powerful (I remodel for a living, so I know what I'm talking about, by the way).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have an 18v DeWalt cordless hammer drill, a 9v Panasonic cordless drill, and a Skil corded drill. I love my DeWalt, the Panasonic is a piece of shit, and the Skil is too but for whatever reason it just keeps going. I have gotten it so hot that the case started to melt and smoke but still it keeps drilling holes.

I really like the Milwaukee corded hammer drill I have at work. So much so that I will probably purchase one.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
18v DeWalt cordless drill, has to be 8 or 10 years old now, and does everything with no complaints. Batteries seem to die a little quicker these days, but it has been a trooper. Seems drills are a get what you pay for deal.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I like Milwaukee, but you would all be surprised by Craftsman "Professional" tools - got one of these "professional" drills couple of years back and I REALLY like it - affordable, good quality, and very powerful (I remodel for a living, so I know what I'm talking about, by the way).
Agree. I have a Craftsman Professional I got in 1997. It's "only" a 12.0V model. I have used it as a drill and as a hammer, and it has been lent out to people who shouldn't be trusted with tools, and it still kicks ass despite all the abuse it's been forced to endure.

Other (non-Professional) Craftsman power tools have not been as good to me in the last decade or so. But then again, I've had some disappointments with Makita too (a brand I used to hold in high regard.) I've had good results with DeWalt. I can't comment on Milwaukee except to say that I've heard great things and if I were a tradesman, I'd probably be looking more closely at them.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my dewalt plug in hammer drill has never let me down even when i did the 1 1/2 inch lags for my hoist, strong an works cant complain. cordless got an old ass Makita that got passed to me somewhere down the line just had to get some new batterys and good as new.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the Professional drill that takes the 18V "slide" batteries? I purchased one of these almost two years mostly due to the fact that my battery impact guns take the same batteries and I somehow managed to acquire 12 of them with the guns being the only use I had. The drill definitely takes a beating and is great for drilling holes but the only problem I have with it is when it comes to driving screws, it's too heavy for practical use. I also have the reciprocating saw from that line of Professional tools and I have to say that they built it pretty heavy duty but the battery life sucks. It has however outperformed the 19.2v saws in my opinion.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
milwaukee for corded, but cordless its all about bosch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals