• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

end of rope.

dopey fudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
instead of hijacking others threads, I am making my own.

here is what I have been fighting.(most copied from another threads)
93 3.0. when the temps drop below 50 degrees, the truck starts right up. runs at around 2500 rpm, then as it starts to drop to regular idle, I get a check engine that flashes 3 times, the idle then drops to around 500 rpm, or dies, of its really cold out. then it spikes back up to 2500, and slowly decreases to standard idle, around 1000 rpm. I have checked the idle air sensor, and replaced the coolant temp switch. cannot pull the code from ecm, due to being a soft code. throttle body is clean, maf is clean ,but will clean to be safe.

I'm at a loss at this point. it did it last year in the fall- winter but stopped. started in the spring, and stopped, all summer long. started again in mid november. its getting worse, to the fact that if it dies now, I need to hold the throttle open to restart.

update, --

with the warmer temps, the truck seemed to be starting easier over the last few days.

Friday---, the iac went out completely. I know this because of last time it went out. the idle stays at where the rpm's were at when I let off of the trottle. and when I disconnected it, they dropped.

saturday-- I went to a yard, and pulled 2 of them off of 2 3.0 motors. all had the same part #.

the first one when I put it on loped severly, but continued to run. no check engine.
the 2nd fired right up, had NO issues. so I left it on.

sunday, I started the truck up. it fired up just fine. when the idle started to lower, it started lopeing severly, and died. I then had to hold the throttle down for it to fire up. it loped until I put my foot on the throttle for around 30 seconds. then it was fine. its acting like its not getting air/ chokeing off too much.

monday, same ordeal, had to hold the trottle to keep it running. but this time, the check engine light flashed again, re-entering the code.

tuesday, I found the cold air temp sensor.
I disconnected the iacv after it started, It kept it running, but idle was rough, and lopeing. check engile light DID NOT come on, when it was disconnected.

I reconnected it, and unplugged the maf. the idle smoothed out slightly, check engine light CAME on. went off after I reconnected the maf, idle stayed the same.

disconnected the cold air sensor. no change at all. check engine light CAME ON, went off after reconnection.

I let the truck sit to let it get cold and disconnected the maf. and started the truck. the check engine light was on, but the truck still bottomed out then surged. the same as it did before the iacv went out. ruling out the maf.

I also checked for vacuume leaks, for the cold idle issue. didn't find one.

I am at a loss, I am worse off than I was.:annoyed::dunno:

Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles? mine did this and my cats were stopped up, drove around at 8mpg. loped bad cleaned everything new plugs and all no change. idled bad and died several times. check engine light would come on real quick or after about 40 miles would stay on but dealer couldnt find a code. thought about it for a sec and said i wonder how bad my exhaust is hasnt really been worked on except two mufflers in 220k miles, went and had a new cat put on and a high flow muffler for sound. dropped the factory cat/precat assy on the ground and had a 3/4 inch pile of soot on the floor, drove around and rapped the piss out of it and drove fine ever since. i still havent changed the o2 sensors after 280k tho, might be in order when i go to revive her...

dopey fudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the truck has 72k on it. original miles.

the only check engine I get is 30 seconds after start up. as the idle starts to drop down from being choked.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
tps(throttle position sensor)

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
is that air inlet temp sensor the one in between the crank case breather and throttle body?

dopey fudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that air inlet temp sensor the one in between the crank case breather and throttle body?
no, mine is in the air box.

would the tps also be causing the bad idle at start up?

as for the iac, I agree, both times mine has gone out the idle has stayed or exceeded 3000 rpm. thats how I knew mine went out Friday.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the bad idle at startup is why i asked about the maf and if it was clean, if its not sensing much air coming in (dirty) it will make the truck idle wierd and low. mine did anyway.

cuznicksaidso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Its the iac sensor right on top of your Plenum. Had same problem just no check engine light

dopey fudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
changed the tps yesterday...wasn't it. still cel flashed, and bottomed out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals