• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine oil leak question

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I about broke down today. I have my conversion almost complete and if it wasn’t for all the snow today I was going to try and start this thing. So yesterday I put oil in the engine and primed it. Took the valve covers off to make sure oil was moving through the entire engine. Put the valve covers back on and closed shop for the night.

Today when I check under the truck I found oil. Not a lot but still it was oil. It looks like it was coming from the area the oil pan mates up with the seal around the crank shaft. It's been pretty cold here and last night was the first time I put oil in and primed the engine. A guy told me due to the cold and the engine has never been started, the seals may need to expand when you start the motor and I might not have a problem. Was this guy making me feel good and has anyone seen this before? I'm having nightmares about having to pull the motor and reseal a few things.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Not sure. Could be a few things. The cold/no start is a very good possibility.

Is it a 2-piece rear main seal or 1 piece?

How much is "not a lot"? as in 2 or 3 drops?

Take a flash light and look over the rear of the motor and monitor the leak. If it's still leaking, I can only think of the rear drain plug since oil hasn't been sloshed around the engine yet. If it isn't, then it could be the cold new seal.

Might even be some runoff from when you took the valve cover off.

Engine running/heat should fix it if it's cold.

Last edited:

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the e-mail Iron Ranger. It's a two piece main seal. The engine is a 1991 302 HO out of a thunderbird. I don’t believe it’s the drain plug because I could see the drop forming on the lip of the oil pan where it mates with the crank. I wiped down the oil on the pan and on the floor so I could watch it today while I worked on a few other things. Throughout the day it leaked a few drops (2 maybe 3) and it looks like it is now coming from somewhere else higher up on the block (that could be from when I had the valve covers off) but not from the oil pan where it was last night. The amount of oil it leaked overnight (about 16 hours) was a little puddle. Very weird and a little frustrating. :icon_confused:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the e-mail Iron Ranger. It's a two piece main seal. The engine is a 1991 302 HO out of a thunderbird. I don’t believe it’s the drain plug because I could see the drop forming on the lip of the oil pan where it mates with the crank. I wiped down the oil on the pan and on the floor so I could watch it today while I worked on a few other things. Throughout the day it leaked a few drops (2 maybe 3) and it looks like it is now coming from somewhere else higher up on the block (that could be from when I had the valve covers off) but not from the oil pan where it was last night. The amount of oil it leaked overnight (about 16 hours) was a little puddle. Very weird and a little frustrating. :icon_confused:
If it's a 91 motor, it's got a 1 pc rear main seal. I've fought the same battle with my 302's as well, it comes from the rear of the valve cover gasket. The oil pools deeper than the gasket surface while the engine is running and works it's way out while the engine is running near as I can tell.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response baddad457. Question...I haven't started the engine. How could the valve cover gasket be leaking? I have only primed the engine and I don't think that much oil ended up in the valves. Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the leak?

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I looked at mine today and I've concluded mine's due to the absense of baffles in my valve covers. It works up and out the breather on the driver's side and travels down the fins of the cover and down the rear. Check your gaskets and make sure the bolts are compressing the cover rail and gaskets.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funny you mention that because I actually did that yesterday. I still had a few drops today. I tried starting it today but I have a few wiring issues. I'm going to try it tomorrow. I guess I'll see what happens.

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Just to make sure you don't have a bigger problem, swab the back of the engine with a piece of a rag on a wire and see if you have oil there. Mine had a rear oil plug loose up near the cam at the back of the block and it covered my clutch in oil. Go thru the access at the bottom front of the bellhousing, hopefully this is not where it's coming from. The only fix is dropping the tranny or removing the engine. Best of luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals