• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Timing

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all...

not on a lot, but find the info her really helpfull.
I have a 1999 ranger with a 3.0 ffv engine with the spark pack, I have read through the teck pages as thorough as possible and am looking for info on "how" to set my timing, is seams like everything is for engines with a dizzy in them, I have cleaned my dampner and found the timeing marks,
What is the timing for this engine, what does it use for timing pointer and does it have a spout connector to disconnect, any help would be,,,,,helpfull.

thanks

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The marks are there in case you wish to see what is happening... However the timing is set and advanced by the computer. There is little you can do with it.
Big JIm

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
.....so you are saying that is I put a rebuild engine in my truck, I can just throw it all together anyway with my eyes closed and not worry about the timeing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there has to be a way to set it

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
There has to be a basic mechanical starting point for the computor to work from,

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
I am just looking for the "base" timing,,,,6,,8,,10?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There are no mechanically adjustable parts in your ignition system - your computer handles all timing duties, and the only way to change your timing is via a tuner or a chip.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am just looking for the "base" timing,,,,6,,8,,10?
With no adjustable distributer all you can set is the mechanical timing of TDCC. The computer will then adjust the appropriate electrical timing. I have two older vehicles with electronic ignition but which also have distributors, there is a base electrical timing adjustment on these vehicles.

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
With no adjustable distributer all you can set is the mechanical timing of TDCC. The computer will then adjust the appropriate electrical timing. I have two older vehicles with electronic ignition but which also have distributors, there is a base electrical timing adjustment on these vehicles.
Thank you,,you have told me something of use, "that the motor is times at tdc".
I can find the marks on the dampner,,,,what do I match them up with seeing as there is no pointer, do they match with the crankposition sensor?

Thank you again

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you fully understand.. When the engine is running the timing is controlled by the computer. You will never be able to align the marks or have a clue as to what the computer is telling the engine to do.
Big JIm

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can find the marks on the dampner,,,,what do I match them up with seeing as there is no pointer, do they match with the crankposition sensor?
To set the crankshaft mechanical timing (#1 piston TDCC) there has to be a timing mark (notch) on the crankshaft pulley and the engine block (pointer) or timing chain cover. To get to TDC compression #1 hold your finger over the spark plug hole until there is pressure felt, that's approaching TDCC, then align the marks. There should also be aligning marks for the cam shaft. It's all explained in Haynes Manual for Ranger.

Is this what you're looking for?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals