• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust leak @ cat advice

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Where the Y pipe comes into the cat, the gasket is gone. The cat has studs that are shot. I know I am going to have to cut them, but am I going to have to drill out what is left of the studs from the cat or can they just be "popped out" like a wheel stud.
I just want to make sure I have everything before I get it torn down as we just have 1 vehicle today and I need to get the wife from work this afternoon.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Once they start leaking, they don't stop. Weld the flange together all the way around...Any exhaust shop will do the same, they won't mess with it cause it will leak again, they just weld it up, and when it comes time to replace the cat, they just cut it off and weld a new one on :icon_thumby:
SVT

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
OK, couldn't get the welder to ground out even after clamping right to the flange I was welding (I'll search across the shop for my face shield later).
So now it is laugh time. I mixed some JB Weld and stuffed it in the seam. Praying this works because I don't want to put more money into this truck. When I was under there I found out the rear of the frame was grafted on. Slightly peeved right now...

jhammel85

I had the same problem but my studs were already removed (if they were even there to begin with). I used new bolts all the way around.

My problem was a leak that I could not fix. I would try new gaskets with no luck because it turned out that the flange was warped.....

I could never get it to seal...After many attempts at sealing it, What finally held it was to use two gaskets and Ultra Copper high temp sealant.

What you do is take one of the gaskets and make a bead around the inside of one. Then sandwich it with the other gasket (make sure they face the correct way and fit inside of each other) Then use some more of the sealant out side of the gasket sandwich. THEN once it's in and installed, put some more on along the seam of the whole thing to really seal it up. It's worked great for me and it's been like this for a long time.

Last edited:

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
jb weld wont work it will get to hot and just fall off.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
double or triple the gaskets and put a bead of permatex ultra copper RTV inbetween each layer and on each flange.

and yes knock the studs out and use new bolts with copper anti seize

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I've never had a joint leak after using Ultra Copper on it. That's what is on mine, no gasket at all, just the RTV.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've never had a joint leak after using Ultra Copper on it. That's what is on mine, no gasket at all, just the RTV.
yeah that shit is the best! i use it on everything.

it even sealed up agaist the notorious ford FE passenger exhaust manifold leak

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals