• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Pipe Diameter

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
My good buddy has a qusetion for everybody. If u have a Ranger with a 3.0 L V6 with the stock 2 inch exhaust on it, and u put on a 2.5 inch catback exhaust with a Flowmaster Original 40 series muffler and run a 2.5 inch pipe out of the muffler to the end, Do u think that the bigger diameter pipe wuld sort of dissolve the loudness of the exhaust system, or do ya'll think the bigger diameter pipe will actually increase the volume of the system? Wat do ya'll think?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The muffler has a lot more to do with the sound level than the pipe diameter. A 2.5" single system is fine for a 3.0. I suspect that in theory a smaller pipe would be quieter but there isn't enough difference between a 2" and 2.5" that you'd be able to notice. .02.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i had 2 1/4 on my trk, the 2.5 in theory since its larger will lessen the noise some, and the flow is better than 2 inch, but the 2 1/4 did better on my 3.0 than the 2.5 did. the muffler and placement will affect the sound more than pipe diameter, and if you have larger tips that will affect it as well, but if you do hear a dif, its miniscule since ive had both and couldnt really tell a dif.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals