• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 4405 to 1354 E conversion use original GEM

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just wanted to post up my 1354 swap on my mud/play 99 explorer sport 2dr automatic...

after I broke the spider gears in the rear axle (sold and swapped the 8.8 to my cousin for his 7.5...long story) while playing in the mud I broke something or burnt the clutches up in my 4405 auto 4x4 case. it would move around but wouldn't take any kind of load, even stopping in gear it would jerk and slip. it wouldn't even hold itself on our tilt deck trailer in park, it actually rolled off the trailer by itself while in park :shok:

so this week I got a 1354 case and a 4.10 geared 8.8 (to replace my original). after reading about other swaps like this I was dreading finding the right GEM module and changing all that over, or having to get under the truck with a shiftster everytime I wanted to use 4x4. I figured id do the mechanical part of the swap first and see what happens and if it works. I used the same shift motor off the 4405, just cut the wires for the speed sensors. verified the driveshafts all still bolted up the same (flange on the back and cup-style 6 little bolt on the front) turned the key on and flipped the 4x4 switch on the dash, CLICK-4x4, CLICK-4LOW, CLICK-4x4, CLICK-2wd. even confirmed by getting under the truck and feeling the yokes, it is engaging-disengaging the front yoke just as it should.

I still have to get the new rear axle in and bolts up to verify everything is working like it should, but so far it is looking very promising.

here are the part numbers to some of the components that im running in case anybody was wondering what to get...

4405 CASE (original)- out of a 99 explorer sport FORD #XL24-7A195-CA
1354 CASE (new)- out of an 02 explorer sport FORD #1L54-AC

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FINALLY got time to finish this thing up and get it off the lift and try it out. ive found that I don't seem to have 4hi and it seems to just go from 2wd to 4lo. ill have to try it some more and see what its doing.

heres a lil video I took trying out 2wd for the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-Ye1NDK2I

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals