• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer center console display

CorbinFawver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L "Vulcan" v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I have a 1999 3.0 xlt extended cab 4x4 and I already plan on doing the explorer seats and center console. I noticed that some of the center consoles have a digital readout for miles to empty for the fuel. I'm interested in knowing if there's a way to make this work in a ranger as my fuel gauge is broken and I don't feel like chasing down that problem at the moment.
Any help would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, is the short answer

The computer needs to have software for that option.
Computer knows how much gas it is using, open time for fuel injectors, at any given moment
Computer also knows the vehicle speed, MPH
Computer also has a timer, a few of them.
So computer can calculate MPG, if it had the software telling it to do that.
And then you would just need to add a WORKING fuel gauge to the computer knowledge, and it could then easily calculate Miles to Empty knowing the gallons of gas in the tank and the average MPG for your driving habits :)
I think the microprocessor in the full electronic dash does most of that now, it establishes an average MPG from fuel level in tank and digital odometer, so computer doesn't really need to be part of that anymore.

I think Rangers got full electronic dash in 2004 or so

Broken fuel gauge would cause Miles to Empty on the Explorer console to not work as well.

Last edited:

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I half agree with Ron. Yes is the short answer. It can and has been done. You just need to put in a lot of effort.

I don't ever remember reading about an external computer running it all but I haven't looked into this either.

CorbinFawver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L "Vulcan" v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for getting back to me! I'm not too concerned about it I just wanted to know which console to get. I would get the computer one if it was easier but I don't think it's worth that much effort. I appreciate y'all's input in this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals