• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer lift leaf springs into a ranger?

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys just wondering if anyone knew if the explorer leaf lift springs would fit a ranger? dunno if the dimensions from eye to eye is different or not. Looking to do a SAS and need to lift the rear, but don't wanna use blocks. and the 3" explorer leafs are about 250 cheaper than ranger 6" leafs... got 2" shackles for the leafs too. need to get about 8" of lift outta the back as the front is gonna be about 9". that way it sits pretty level.

Any help would be appreciated:icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Yes they fit perfectly plus give about 1.5 inches of lift. Get the leaves from a 4 door and not a 2 door as the 2 door has fiberglass leaves and the 4 door has the metal ones.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Yes they fit perfectly plus give about 1.5 inches of lift. Get the leaves from a 4 door and not a 2 door as the 2 door has fiberglass leaves and the 4 door has the metal ones.
i thought they only gave lift because the leaf was under the frame rail on explorers?...idk but yeah they will fit in a ranger

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i thought they only gave lift because the leaf was under the frame rail on explorers?...idk but yeah they will fit in a ranger
They are heavier duty springs and have a little more arch also I think.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats if you want to run an ex axle in a ranger. the leaves are heavier duty because they have more weight to support.

if you went from spring under to over you would get more like 4" of lift not 1.5. you have all of the axle to go on top of

to answer your question though. yes they will work. aand go with the 4 door for the most lift. being as normal ex leaves give you 1.5" you should see somewhere in the 5" ball park for lift. with the shackles around 7" it will look sweet. and if you want you can always add an extra 1" block

daveguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda b4000
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
explorer leafs are a waste of time, there so stiff and dont give you enough lift for it to be worth while. if your doing a sas then you should consider doing 64 inch chevys. the tech library has a right up about it.

thanks dave,

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The explorer has its leaves under the frame rails and the leaves under the axle as compaired to the ranger as the leaves are on the sides of the frame rails and over the axle. That is why you have to flip the center pin on the leaves on an explorer when putting them on a ranger. Yes they are stiffer and when thats why when put on a ranger, they dont sag as much.

As for getting 5 inches of lift from them, not going to happen as is. I did the chevy 63 inch leaves swap plus the chevy drop shackles (they lift a ranger) and got 6 inches of lift, and Im using the 3/4 ton ones with the overload plus my factory 2inch lift blocks too.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you need to flip the center pin because where they mount to the axle is now underneath it instead of on top. and 5" is possible because they are 3" lift springs for an explorer so that would lift a ranger the extra 1.5-2" giving you 5"

as for the 63 and 64 chevy leaves. that is another option a lot of people like around here and are very flexy

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys just wondering if anyone knew if the explorer leaf lift springs would fit a ranger? dunno if the dimensions from eye to eye is different or not. Looking to do a SAS and need to lift the rear, but don't wanna use blocks. and the 3" explorer leafs are about 250 cheaper than ranger 6" leafs... got 2" shackles for the leafs too. need to get about 8" of lift outta the back as the front is gonna be about 9". that way it sits pretty level.

Any help would be appreciated:icon_thumby:
its funny how many people posted without actually reading what he was saying

the 3" explorer rear leaf springs you found will net u about 4 1/2-5 on a ranger, u will need to flip the center pin but they will bolt right in, and run the longer shackle. this combination will net u about 7-7 1/2 total, and then u can run a 1" or 2" factory style ford block to make up the difference.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

the 3" explorer rear leaf springs you found will net u about 4 1/2-5 on a ranger, u will need to flip the center pin but they will bolt right in, and run the longer shackle. this combination will net u about 7-7 1/2 total, and then u can run a 1" or 2" factory style ford block to make up the difference.
thank you. this is what i was originally getting at

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You dont even necessarily have to flip the locating pin on the explorer leafs. I have some that are going into my bronco II, and with stock Ranger 4x4 blocks, everything fits fine

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If i was gonna be running a 9" or something bigger in the back end i'd do the chevy leaf swap, so that way i could move the rear end back farther(hopefully) but as i'm just running the 8.8 31 spline i'm just sticking with ranger/explorer leafs. Really don't feel the urge to chop and cut and re-drill the leafs for the back. especially since the SAS will be done as fast as possible but correctly as this is my DD.

I know you gotta flip the pin, but the shackles between rangers and explorers are interchangeable then? just wasn't positive on the interchangeability between ranger/exploder leafs. would maybe a ford stock block out of an f150 fit in there and still give me more lift? don't know if they are bigger or not? just gotta be careful about getting too much block in there since i really don't wanna spend the $ on getting longer ubolts. Just making sure i spend the money i spend in the right places, and would most definitely go suspension then block. i had major axle wrap problems when i was running blocks before... sucked! don't wanna go back. i already re-packed my leafs with some leaf packs from a dodge? half-ton maybe? way old, so the leaf pack i have now is 6 or 7 leafs lol... and its giving my ranger about 4" lift as it is right now so the explorer leafs wouldn't be much benefit, guess i'll just be forking out the extra 100-200 for the 6" leafs, and shackle it up, and hope for the best:icon_thumby:

Guess i could always call pohl springs up and get and these ones re-arched? i heard they can really only get re-arched about 4" lift before they are too distorted to fit again?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ranger and Explorer shackles are not interchangeable. The leafs themselves are interchangeable however (aside from the centerpin thing already mentioned)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals