• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer rear into a Ranger

GilroyRacing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,

My dad and I just picked up a 87 2WD ranger with a 7.5 rear. After looking around online and on here, I found that we could install a 8.8 out of a explorer.

We stopped by our local junk yard to take a look around to see if they had any there.
We found a 8.8 in a explorer that the leaf spring are on top of the rear just like a ranger, and it also had disc brakes.

All the others had the leaf's under the rear.

Does any one have any good links to this swap so I can figure out what rear I need to get?

Also, what brake booster and master cylinder is everyone using with 4 wheel disc brakes??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Was the Ex lifted? Sounds like someone may have done a SOA swap on it. If so, it might just bolt right into a Ranger (the EX and Ranger spring widths are the same). You'll need to make sure the pinion angle is acceptable though (can be adjusted with angled spring shims if needed).

As for the master, I'm just using the stock OE one on my '90 BII with a '99 Ex rear, however mine also has the factory rear ABS (somewhere I read non-ABS masters won't work as well, but I don't know for sure).

GilroyRacing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, it was stock height. I'll see if I can stop by the junk yard and take some pics. I wasnt thinking, or I would have snapped some pics while I was there.

GilroyRacing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I stopped by the junk yard, the explorer was gone.
The have one there with disc brakes and a 4.10 gear, I'm going to get it later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals