• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorers

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
iamtodd he is going 91-94 which is totally different than your's you have a torsion set up he will be having ttb, all he needs for lift is a spring over kit, springs,shocks, steering, and maybe radius arms. i would piece together a lift cause it would probably be better than any one kit that you buy. and as jkufen said lifts for ifs run about 1500-2k depending on where you buy, a lift for a ttb for a cheap lift runs about 500 and if you piece one together using all the good parts out of different lifts you could have a great lift for 500 or so depending on how much you could find used parts for. and tpking there are quite a few ppl on here that dd and have full time lockers and say that it is just fine for on road use. Oh and i got lucky enough to get a 92 eddie buaer expo with manual hubs,5speed, and electronic transfer case but the only thing i hate is i have the dreaded 3:27 gears, as for wanting 33's i would go 4:10's and if you want it to be great in snow get a set of 33/10.5/15 duratracts. sorry if i went on to long without using proper punctuation

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
oh and as martin said go with 5-6 because when you put the leaf spring on top of the axle you gain 5-6 inches

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
iamtodd he is going 91-94 which is totally different than your's you have a torsion set up he will be having ttb,
I understand. Just stating that the IFS isn't as bad as it's being made out to be in this thread.

BTW- Shift key is to the left of the 'z' key and '/'.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ifs was not being made out to be bad it was being made out that it is expensive and hard to lift and that it is alot more tempermental than ttb front ends and i really could care less where the shift key was im not here to type like i am in a computer class.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The TTB system doesn't seem too bad compared to the completely IFS systems in use in most vehicles today that the first time you hit a pothole wrong the front end is out of alignment.
Actually the new ones can align themselves so unless you REALLY screw something up you can't knock it out of alignment. :icon_thumby:

If you can do without low range the 5.0 V8 is the way to go. My 2000 truck never skipped a beat.
A fullsize t-case can cure that problem. :icon_thumby:

and as jkufen said lifts for ifs run about 1500-2k depending on where you buy, a lift for a ttb for a cheap lift runs about 500
And a cheap TTB lift is a cheap TTB lift, a good one will run a lot more. Cheap ones like to pound holes in differential housings (which makes them not really very cheap) Mixing and matching... depends on how many people you can find that want to sell the best parts of the kits that they have and how they have been treated.

For an all out brawler TTB (or solid) is the way to go, they will outflex the 96-01's hands down. One problem with Explorers is the wider frame of really makes a bodylift stick out, won't really hurt anything it just looks odd (IMO). I am not that up on Explorers about tire fitment but a free (+ alignment) t-bar crank on a 96-01 may get you in the neighborhood to fit 33's on its own.

Last edited:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
yea but the super lift for ifs doesn't let you have more flex it just allows you to be lifted for bigger tires as a ttb lift usually allows you to have more flex

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A fullsize t-case can cure that problem. :icon_thumby:
Very true, I forgot about that swap. Ok then it's sorted!

2" Torsion twist/AAL+Shackles, 3"BL and you'll be able to run 33s. Plus you won't need to regear as the 5.0 came with 3.73s.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So the leaf springs are under the axle on the explorers? I havent looked at mine since i bought it. Its at my dads house which isnt local so i go on saturdays to work on my stuff. If i can flip the leaf springs and get even more of a lift.

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on putting receivers on front and back and having a winch mounted on a insert so i can switch it between front and back and keep it locked up inside the back out of the weather.. I plan on doing all the work myself found a 94 explorer that is perfect inside and out not a scratch or dent on it only bad thing is it needs a engine which works out because its auto and i can just swap the engine / trans at the same time, And for $500 its hard to pass up

Besides the upgrades im going to do it will get alot of maitenence will go ahead and replace all ball joints , u joints , brakes , rotors , bearings and all the bushings..

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Id suggest using the jeep lift coils with chevy leafs and 11 inch shocks. last time i priced it. it came to about 400$ and gave 4 inches of flexy lift. which will be enough for 33s

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh ya and f250 coil buckets. its all in the tech section

Lil red wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
Which heep coils would u be using for 4" lift??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals