• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally got the B2 done

Crazy_Bronco_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hey my names Jon, i finally got my Bronco 2 up and running and got all the final touches done, thought i might post a couple pics,
hope you enjoy :)

only a little bit of rust around the rear wheel well

finally got my tach in

The rebuilt engine..... lots of work for that one, and i still have to take it out and get another one, noisy lifters..... luckily optimax is warrantying it...

just as i finished getting the Deck in

New head liner, old one was falling apart,

not bad for a 16 year olds first vehicle eh?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Cool looks good, but-
-If that's where you set your redline on the tach, with a 2.9 you'll want to move that up a bit

-and the noisy lifters are a common issue. Most 2.9s do it.

michowski

Reaction score
put it at the 7 :). If some is good, more is better right? LOL Joking. Looks really good.

Crazy_Bronco_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the comments

lots of work into that one, but i am very happy with it :)

where should i put the red line???

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I think the red line on the factory tach in my 88 is at 5500. I don't think I've had it past about 4800-ish though. Definetly not with my new motor.

rangernotlifted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jetta,explorer,
Transmission
Manual
4000 shift point always never bring it above that or u might end up like me and get three blown up motors, and yeah when i was 16 i got a ranger and i blew out the tranny twice lol

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
about 4500-5000 sounds good. I mean, I revved my old BII to like, 6000-6500 or so, when I was give'n'er trying to throttle out of hole, or up a hill, or whatever, but I wouldn't advise regularly doing that...

Apollo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
come on guys. give the 2.9l more credit than that. it can handle 6500 like it was nothing, it might sound like a bat out of hell but iv had it there on countless camping trips and no ill affects have appeared on my 2.9l. as for the noisy lifters, use a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer and it should mellow out, but it wont be gone completely, the 2.9l is just a noisy engine.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
As what has been said before, the 2.9L ticks, get used to it... As for the red line, the factory set is 5500RPM. I've revved mine up to 6500 countless times and its still running fine for me. Pretty powerful engine for its size, and bulletproof in my opinion. I also agree with the Lucas oil. It does quiet it down, but it doesn't make the ticking go away. When I switched to Lucas in mine, I could hear my alternator bearings grinding on me, and after the alternator, the water pump, thats to be changed on another day. Its probably good I did switch to Lucas, or that could have been bad when I head to BC.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Lucas mucus is equivalent to just using a heavier weight oil.

It may TEMPORARILY quiet the lifters, but the problem is caused by excessive oil clearances in the cam and lifters, so incorrect viscosity can make the problem substantially worse.

A brand new rebuild should not tick. Taking this back under warranty is the right thing to do.

Also, not every tick is the lifters. There have been at least a few credible reports of injectors ticking on 2.9Ls. You can feel it in the fuel rail when this happens. Bottom end knocks are also not unheard of (though they sure should be on a rebuild).

I took mine up to 6000 pretty regularly when I had it. Sometimes for quite a while. It's a very loud engine (especially if the fan clutch is shot as quite a number of them are). Its bottom end, including the cam and lifters, made it to 250K miles before the cam roasted.

THE risk point on 2.9Ls is head cracks. Make sure the cooling system is in working order ALL the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals