• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flickering checke engine light?!?!?

ROJO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Flickering check engine light?!?!?

I just purchased a 1997 Ford Ranger with 102000 miles on it. The vehicle is in excellent shape and is running great. The only real problem that I am having is that the check engine light is on and it will flicker constantly while I am driving. It will also just turn off at times too. I took the Ranger to Autozone and had them check the codes, but it was not throwing any. If anyone has suggestions as to what I can do to fix this issue that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
maybe its a aulty check light on the dash.
theres a how-to for taking out the gauges cluster on the tech library.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you my friend have a short some where, the cel is a negative switched circuit, so nothing is really going on with the truck, you just have a wire rubbing on metal, i would first pull the cluster and trace the cel circuit and test it with a ohm meter if its not there then i would start inspecting the dash harness with a flashlight for any kind of rub marks.

ROJO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them when I am off of work.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flashing CEL means a serious engine misfire.

I wouldn't trust an AutoZone clerk's diagnosis.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Flashing CEL means a serious engine misfire.

I wouldn't trust an AutoZone clerk's diagnosis.
While that was my first thought too, a class A misfire isn't a condition that usually leads to the engine being described as "Running Fine". And even the most incompetent AZer would probably have trouble missing that one with a code reader.

Also, the description of what the light actually does sounds more like a ground-side short than a class A miss.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
even with a misfire the eeprom would store a code like 212 for something like 50 key-ons, ive never seen an obdII just "flash" the cel while driving, if it comes on it stays on until key-off

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
even with a misfire the eeprom would store a code like 212 for something like 50 key-ons, ive never seen an obdII just "flash" the cel while driving, if it comes on it stays on until key-off
An OBDII system would store a P030* code until the misfire issue had been resolved. And the flashing CEL for a severe misfire is something that EEC-IV didn't have, it's specific to OBDII.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and even if it is non recurring it would still store the code for a misfire under the PID system and even tell you how long since the code has been cleared. heres some further reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

ROJO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved! Thanks for the advice that was provided in this thread. I was able to trace it to a small connecter on the back of the engine block that was rubbing against the ground strap. A little electricians tape and the flickering light is gone. Time to go get my safety and emissions done!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yep, happens all the time. if its a catalyst damaging condition then the light will flash.

want to see it in action? unplug a spark plug wire on an OBD2 vehicle.. light should start flashing in less than a minute

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yep, happens all the time. if its a catalyst damaging condition then the light will flash.

want to see it in action? unplug a spark plug wire on an OBD2 vehicle.. light should start flashing in less than a minute
wanna see it really in action? just look at the ranger in my driveway(the '96) Not too bad at idle but the things like a bucking bronco when you put in in gear and the rpms drop, cel never stops flashing

ROJO, just curious but do they not let you check the codes yourself there? I usually go to advance auto and i just give them my license and they hand me the obdII scanner.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals