• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flooded 2.9l

dwlahr

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
after all my recent repairs to my 88 this one seems to stun even the smartest ford techs ive ever meet ....new or good as tps iat iac fpr intake cleaning and now 2 days after the replacement the 2.9 flood massively so bad i wont start unless u trip the inertia switch and nurse it back to health. had unplugged the map sensor and it started plugged it in and next try it just wouldnt fire up. can a map sensor adj my fuel that bad to flood it this bad

dwlahr

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
well the fouled plugs are definately fuel related. pulled a plug cleaned it off unplugged the injector for that cyl reinstalled plug into cyl cranked over removed plug and it was dry. going to try a known good fuel rail and injectors. this may be another victum of our (ford dealership) extremely strong fuel system cleaner which states to be dilluted by 10 or more gallons of gas...which i might of had 4gal. at time i added it...oops. ill keep any onlookers posted

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You might try disconnecting the O2 sensor.

dwlahr

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
well i tried a tfi mod, map, tps, unplugged individual sensors and tried to make sense of it all but still nothing

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A question..

well i tried a tfi mod, map, tps, unplugged individual sensors and tried to make sense of it all but still nothing
Have you pulled all the plugs when it won't start to see if they ALL are wet? From your post I'd rather think it WASN'T getting fuel instead of being flooded.. Try it you might like it.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Next

If they are indeed all wet then I'd be looking at why the sparks aren't flying! There should be at least a pop or two if the plugs are sparking..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you pulled all the plugs when it won't start to see if they ALL are wet? From your post I'd rather think it WASN'T getting fuel instead of being flooded.. Try it you might like it.
All plugs are wet. The engine is running very rich when we can get it started but most of the time that involves tripping the inertia switch and cranking it at WOT until it fires up, then setting the switch. Once it's running the exhaust reeks of gas and she smokes bad.

If they are indeed all wet then I'd be looking at why the sparks aren't flying! There should be at least a pop or two if the plugs are sparking..
Coil and TFI I are both good. I've taken a couple hits right off his coil, it's not brand new coil spark, but it still makes my hand go numb.

Also, FPR isn't torn, no fuel in the vac system.

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
The coolant temp sensor, the big one. When it goes bad, it reads like -55 F and dumps a load of gas as if running in super super cold weather. It will flood the engine is it goes bad.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The coolant temp sensor, the big one. When it goes bad, it reads like -55 F and dumps a load of gas as if running in super super cold weather. It will flood the engine is it goes bad.
I don't think we have considered that one yet. I'll look into it tomorrow if the weather clears.

dwlahr

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
gonna try lower intake gaskets...crossin my fingers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals