• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 9'' pinnon seal replacement

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hi i have a question for thoses of you who have ford 9''s , well i checked the rear axle fluid in my 1984 ford f150 and it was low and the axle looked oily so i got some gear oil and try to fill it up and when i did oil came running out from around the pinnon so i know i need a oil seal , but i here that it has a crush sleeve and i need to get a ince pound torque wrench wich it seems to be about $100 , what is the suggested way of replaceing the seal , also how hard of a job is it to do , thanks for any help and comments

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Mark the nut and stud with a paint pen. This way you put it on exactly the same way, then tighten a bit farther than your mark, just 1/8" past.

You might want to also look into a speedi sleeve as I can bet you the sealing surface on the yoke is bad.

It's not hard. I'm putting off sleeving my yoke until it really drips. Im lazy.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks , is it posable that i did any damage to the axle by not checking the gear oil right after i got it?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible you did damage, but unless it was very empty you'll likely be OK.

Like t0x1k stated it's an easy job, just don't way over tighten the yoke nut, go a bit past the old marks when tightening it back up, you could also count how many turns it took to remove it so you know your back in the same place as you started at.

You can almost guarantee that you will need to speedy sleeve that yoke, everyone I have come across in the last several years needed a speedy sleeve, it's just a common ware spot on those.

I too am putting off installing a speedy sleeve on mine, next seal replacement tho and I'll do the sleeve too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals