• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame Crossmembers

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm building an 86 Ranger V8 and moving some things around on the back half. Going to need to build a couple new cross members. This is for a 2wd street truck, not a 4wd offroad. While it won't be driven off road I need it to be safe for street use and look decent. Here's what I'm doing. Here's what I'm doing:

Crossmember 1: Shocks

I'm installing a spring under Explorer 8.8", using the explorer springs and mount plates. I will be placing both shocks behind the axle and will be building it to use stock length 2wd Ranger shocks. Layout is decided, just got to figure out best way to accomplish upper shock mounts. I am going to try to relocate the stock upper shock mounts first, but I have a feeling that the angle will put too much load on the shock bushings and I wont like the setup. That leaves me at building a cross member and upper shock mounts, which I've never done.

Looking for suggestions on materials, design, and upper shock mount design/types. Have access to welder and other necessary tools, and can get metal. Have also considered using a mount adapter like this as an upper mount and building a crossmember to bolt it to, still need material suggestions though.

Crossmember 2: Rear Frame

Not using original tank, planning to install a fuel tank under the bed in the spare tire area. Was originally planning to do a BII tank which would have fit the rear crossmember great, but decided it hangs to low for the lowered truck. The shape of the factory rear crossmember takes up a lot of valuable real estate. Want to replace it with a straight crossmember to free up space and make it easier to position and mount a different tank. I will be keeping a rear step bumper and also planning to install a receiver hitch, so it'll need to work with those.

Once again looking for material and design suggestions...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals