• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FreeNAS

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever used FreeNAS before to setup a home NAS (Network Attached Storage)?

If you have, what are your experiences with it? Will FreeNAS interface with xBox 360 so I can stream my video's to my xBox?

I am looking to set up a larger scale NAS at home. I currently have a 1TB NAS, but I would like something that will hold more hard drives. I have been debating on installing Windows 7 on an old PC I have and letting it run that way, but I want to be able to control it without a monitor. The FreeNAS has the web interface like I have now.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you could always control the pc from a different room with remote desktop. Thats what i did when i had a dedicated server computer in the basement.

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
my buddy at work uses FreeNAS and seems to really like it. he hasn't complained of any issues. as for interfacing it with xbox, i'm not sure if that will work. i haven't personally used FreeNAS, and my buddy doesn't have an xbox...
i just read a few articles about freenas and xbox...it appears that you have to enable UPnP on the NAS and router. On the FreeNAS, there's a UPnP tab, this is where you need to enable it and select the profile to be XBOX....
http://www.lagesse.org/freenas-tutorial-for-windows-users-part-five-xbox-360/

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
my new router has a NAS jack that I don't actually know how to use.

AD

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my new router has a NAS jack that I don't actually know how to use.

AD
if its usb just plug in a external hdd and set it up in the routers default gateway page. Do you have a few different computers on the same network? having a network drive makes anything on the hdd available to any computers or streaming devices like an xbox 360 or ps3 on the network.
What kind of router?

Michigan_Redneck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have looked at this before. the Upnp protocol states it supports media player, so I believe it will support xbox (no promises) besides IT'S FREE

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals